What breed of Chickens do I have?

sunny & the 5 egg layers

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
Hello. I am currently raising 6 chicks. I pulled them from the pullet bin at TSC so I am hoping they are going to all be girls. They are 4 weeks old. But, I was just wondering if any of you guys could tell me what breed they are. Here are some pictures... (I am hoping this is going to work! I am new to BYC so hopefully I can figure out how to upload a picture!)
84433_102_1027.jpg

I have two of these chicks. They looked like little chipmunks when I first brought them home. And they have feathers down their feet. Here is another picture of them.
84433_102_1031.jpg

Then I have two of these black ones. Their legs are clean without feathers.
84433_102_1066.jpg

I also have two of these ones. They dont have any feathers on their legs either.
84433_102_1058.jpg

first one looks like a dark brahma cockeral, the black one looks frizzled(not sure of breed) but comb looks pretty red and am thinking cockeral on that one too...not sure of breed on the last one(RIR maybe?) but it also looks like a cockeral to me.....I am a bit out of practice but the red on the straight comb and the width of the first one's comb has me thinking all cockerals....sorry

Last edited:
Really?
sad.png
I was hoping for hens for some eggs. Here are a few more pics...
The first picture is of my two black chickens.
84433_102_1019.jpg

This pic is one of the brown ones with feathered legs...
84433_102_1021.jpg

And this is the other brown one with feathered legs. (They look identical)
84433_102_1018.jpg

84433_102_1017.jpg

I have to agree, the one in your first picture that you posted looks like a dark Brahama roo.

I got my chicks from the feed store and they also are 4 weeks old. They are supposed to be pullets and they all show a little comb, same as yours. 3 of mine are red sex links, so comb or no, they are girls. Hens DO have combs. The black ones I got are Australorp?? Black Sex Link??? I will play the waiting game.......don't get discouraged.......give 'em a bit longer, they might be girls.
thumbsup.gif

From what you said about the original colors I would gues Ameracauna(sp?) I got 6 yesterday straight run, that had different markings like that from TSC. The last one(brownish one) I thought to be a roo as well. I am not sure about any of the others, that one just stood out to me. Good luck with them, I am very new to chickens though so don't take my word:)

Hey guys. I am hoping they are females. But I guess we will just have to wait until we hear a cock a doodle doo or one lays an egg! I am new to raising chicks. And this is my very first batch. I have wanted to get chickens for some time now and then I heard about TSC selling them and I knew I had to get them! I do have a question though... When should you start feeding your chickens grit? And do you have to feed them oyster shell too?
smile.png
Thanks guys.
yippiechickie.gif

the black one on the left looks like a pullet. Yes, pullets do have combs but they don't turn red til they are closer to laying age and also the first one has a pea comb not a straight comb so you usually look at the width of the comb(cockerals typically have 3 rows, pullets 1 row and pretty flat...not exact science but it has mostly worked for me). How about posting a pic of the other one that looks like a RIR?

2 Dark Brahma pullets (feather legged chickens). They are not roosters, you can tell by their coloring. Dark Brahmas should more accurately be called Silver Penciled Brahmas, as Silver Penciled is actually their feather color. Silver Penciled males develop black breasts, white wrings, and really have almost no penciling. Your Brahmas look nothing like roosters.

The two black chicks look like black Australorp pullets.

The Red chick appears to be a production red of sorts, and looks like a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom