What breed of dog protects chickens?

Thank you all for the responses. We kind of know what bred we want now. But we still aren't sure if we want an older dog that can protect sooner, but that might not know our property, birds, us, etc. Or a puppy that will need more training, and take longer to become helpful, but like car rides, our chickens, our property, etc...

What do y'all think on age? Thanks!

Thank you all for the responses. We kind of know what bred we want now. But we still aren't sure if we want an older dog that can protect sooner, but that might not know our property, birds, us, etc. Or a puppy that will need more training, and take longer to become helpful, but like car rides, our chickens, our property, etc...

What do y'all think on age? Thanks!

What kind of dog are you planning on? I think what kind of dog determines what age dog you get. It may come down to individuals. I would definitely check rescue first because your dream dog might be right there! Puppies can be handfuls and you might need help to get them to work the way you want.

But working dogs can take longer to mature. I have a dobe who is an out of control nuisance at one. We are hoping and working to get her working by two. Also she has an insanely high prey drive and would kill every chicken we have if let to. Having had dobes before we expect her to get a brain in the next year, but...

I think a lot depends on the dog's personality as well. I have an 8 year old St. Bernard/Rottie mix who was kept from the chickens until he was almost 3, and he doesn't bother them at all. And I have a two year old Australian Shepherd/Heeler mix who was raised with the chickens from day one, and all she lives for is to chase and eat them. :confused:

We have an English Shepherd, and in my opinion is the most versatile multi purpose farm dog around. Endless energy and smart as a whip.
My daughter was also looking at English shepherds and fell in love. She found a few for sale in our price range to. But lots of people are saying that ES are herding dogs, and might herd the chickens to death...what do you think? We need a dog that will willing stick around our house cause we don't have a perimeter fence. How does yours do with "guarding" the chickens?

My daughter was also looking at English shepherds and fell in love. She found a few for sale in our price range to. But lots of people are saying that ES are herding dogs, and might herd the chickens to death...what do you think? We need a dog that will willing stick around our house cause we don't have a perimeter fence. How does yours do with "guarding" the chickens?
Historically they have been general farm dogs used for guarding, herding, and even hunting. My male barks tree on squirrels and the female will work with another female to run off much larger male dogs. The long-haired variant handles cold very well. Try to obtain dogs with white on them to aid your being able to see them in dark. That has been a significant issue for me when scanning poultry area with spot light.

Historically they have been general farm dogs used for guarding, herding, and even hunting. My male barks tree on squirrels and the female will work with another female to run off much larger male dogs. The long-haired variant handles cold very well. Try to obtain dogs with white on them to aid your being able to see them in dark. That has been a significant issue for me when scanning poultry area with spot light.
Got it, so you think they would at least bark when there was a predator around?

Mine do a lot. You can promote the behavior by getting dog excited by stimuli produced by predators. Smell is be easiest stimuli to work with unless you catch a predator in a trap. Do not promote contact between dog and predator until dog is at least a year old. Talk to someone that uses hounds to hunt raccoons in your area if still done.

Back
Top Bottom