What breed of dog protects chickens?

Little Farm Girl

Songster
Sep 6, 2018
What breed or mixed breed of dog if any will kill or scare of like Coyotes, opossums, foxes, dogs, etc? We have 115 chickens on 2 of our 7 acres, laying hens sleep in the barn with a chainlink fence yard around it, there is an additional 6ft chainlink fence pen attached to the back of the barn with its own little shelter, and then we have breeding pens behind the barn, we also have chickens in our 4 ft chain link fence backyard, gates are always closed, and birds are always locked up at night and free range in day. Attacks always happen at night, all areas with chickens have been attacked at least once. We have cameras, but they never see where the attack happens. Will a dog protect the chickens at night, if so what breed do we need to get? And do we have to have 2, or is 1 ok?

And yes, we know that LGD need intense training and won't be able to protect until they are adults.

Thanks for your time and opinions!

Mine is a Great Pyrenees mix. I got him when he was two, so he was pretty much set in his ways. Unfortunately, he views anything with four legs or four wheels as a predator. It's also important to know that LGDs exercise independent thought, which can often over rule commands. I have a friend who trained his Pyrenees from a puppy and it doesn't have the issues mine does. So they can learn to follow commands.

Mine is a Great Pyrenees mix. I got him when he was two, so he was pretty much set in his ways. Unfortunately, he views anything with four legs or four wheels as a predator. It's also important to know that LGDs exercise independent thought, which can often over rule commands. I have a friend who trained his Pyrenees from a puppy and it doesn't have the issues mine does. So they can learn to follow commands.
They can learn if you raise them from pups, but are remarkably stubborn! We go round and round about not chasing chickens, and my RIRs will bow up and peck her right in the face...doesn't phase her. It a work in progress.
20190406_112430.jpg
20190310_150359.jpg

Last edited:
What breed or mixed breed of dog if any will kill or scare of like Coyotes, opossums, foxes, dogs, etc? We have 115 chickens on 2 of our 7 acres, laying hens sleep in the barn with a chainlink fence yard around it, there is an additional 6ft chainlink fence pen attached to the back of the barn with its own little shelter, and then we have breeding pens behind the barn, we also have chickens in our 4 ft chain link fence backyard, gates are always closed, and birds are always locked up at night and free range in day. Attacks always happen at night, all areas with chickens have been attacked at least once. We have cameras, but they never see where the attack happens. Will a dog protect the chickens at night, if so what breed do we need to get? And do we have to have 2, or is 1 ok?

And yes, we know that LGD need intense training and won't be able to protect until they are adults.

Thanks for your time and opinions!
I would probably start from a puppy and get maybe a herding breed or one of the breeds that protects your property. My dogs always know what is my stuff and they do not touch it. I just think it is easier to start from a puppy that has acquired no bad habits that you have to train out. Keep the dog with you at all times as you go about your chores etc.., it should learn really fast and once that one is trained, it would be nice to get a second one, so they can keep each other’s company.

My daughter was also looking at English shepherds and fell in love. She found a few for sale in our price range to. But lots of people are saying that ES are herding dogs, and might herd the chickens to death...what do you think? We need a dog that will willing stick around our house cause we don't have a perimeter fence. How does yours do with "guarding" the chickens?
Historically they have been general farm dogs used for guarding, herding, and even hunting. My male barks tree on squirrels and the female will work with another female to run off much larger male dogs. The long-haired variant handles cold very well. Try to obtain dogs with white on them to aid your being able to see them in dark. That has been a significant issue for me when scanning poultry area with spot light.

Back
Top Bottom