What breed of dogs do best with free-range chickens?

RoosterPecked

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 4, 2010
We recently lost the best watchdog ever! She watched over our flock for 15 years. She was a cross between a German Shepherd and Chow. We just went to the animal shelter and purchased a 1 year old female Shepherd/Boxer mix and trying to train her to be kind to our feathered friends. Do any of you have a dog that is the same mix and does well with chickens. I am so hoping we didn't make a mistake. HELP!

Thanks so much for any help.

RoosterPecked

It is not so much the breed as the individual dog. Those dogs raised with chickens around from the time they are puppies will do better than older dogs suddenly introduced. Be very watchful and do not let her around your birds unsupervised until you are sure she is OK with them.

Well fed and disciplined, of course......

hide.gif

Breed has very little to do with being able to predict that behavior.

ALL of them will need the same training to leave birds alone.
Some just learn sooner than others, and some never learn at all

Yup, I agree. I have 2 full sibling female GSD's and one will kill anything small (I did not raise her) and the one that I did raise absolutely adores anything small. You won't know until you try it..be careful though!
It is not so much the breed as the individual dog. Those dogs raised with chickens around from the time they are puppies will do better than older dogs suddenly introduced. Be very watchful and do not let her around your birds unsupervised until you are sure she is OK with them.

Funny someone should ask this question.
I was just at a very well known breeders house to pick up chicks. He told me Black and Tan Coon hounds, a spayed female will do great because they will keep away predators but leave the birds alone. I know his dog is 2-years old now because she was a puppy the first time we got chicks from him, and she has always stayed out and he free ranges everything once the breeding season is done.
I had asked him what he used to keep fox and coyotes away since I had a problem last fall and lost a few birds. That was what he told me and he said he never has been without one.
Of course, TRAINING is a MUST.
I have 2 Standard Poodles who it just got easier to have them separated from the chickens with an in-ground fence. For that story, see my blog.
I trust this guy though, he has been around for a long time and knows what he is talking about.

Although what you say may be true ( I know nothing about Coon hounds) it really is up to each individual dog, their personality and drives, how they are raised etc etc. Not every one will do well with a certain task even if their breed is bred for it.

Thank you all for your response. We have been working with "Bella" on a leash and walking around the free-range chickens and each time she tries to lunge I yank back the leash and yell NO. She is a young dog ( a year old) so I think we have much work to do with her but I feel we made the right choice in my heart but just needed to hear other's opinions. Thanks again for your help.

For me, hearing that she lunged is not a good sign even though you just got her. You may train her to where she will be alright with them when you are around, but I think that the minute you turn your back she will try to attack them.
Not saying this will definitely happen with your girl, but it's something to think about. I wish you all the best with her and hope she makes a great addition.

Back
Top Bottom