What breed of duck is this and is it make or female

Keta_bloodfang

Hatching
May 4, 2023
We got a couple of unsorted ducks from C-A-L ranch and have no idea what breed this one is or what gender , any ideas ?

Attachments

• IMG_6997.jpeg
    IMG_6997.jpeg
    842.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_6998.jpeg
    IMG_6998.jpeg
    884.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6999.jpeg
    IMG_6999.jpeg
    820 KB · Views: 17
We got a couple of unsorted ducks from C-A-L ranch and have no idea what breed this one is or what gender , any ideas ?
The body looks just like my Mallard hens but the head doesn't match. It might be a mixed duck unless someone knows of another duck that looks just like this one.

If it quacks it is a girl and if it has a more hoarse voice and is quieter it is a male. My girls quack very loud. Usually when they are picked up. It is a beautiful duck.

I guess it is a Welsh Harlequin Drake. I saw a picture of another one that looks just like it.
Yes, I agree - Welsh Harley drake. This guy looks like my drake, Sir Francis Quack, when he was immature. The head will turn metallic green, like a mallard, and his tail feathers will curl too. AS you can see from the first picture the girls have darker bills. The drake has a darker head and a greenish yellow bill. His feet are more orange, while the girls feet are starting to turn darker and they will eventually have black/dark grey bills and feet. In the second picture you can see how this turns out. Sir Francis basically looks like a mallard drake with very orange feet.
(Off topic, notice how sparkling clean the water is in the kiddie pool in the first photo. My ducks were afraid of the pool, so it took them awhile to get in the water. Now they splash and dibble mud into the pool and I can't keep the water clean for more than ten minutes.)

Attachments

• IMG_1752.JPG
    IMG_1752.JPG
    955.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1825.JPG
    IMG_1825.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
These are a current pic of my month old ducks and one from 3 weeks ago. They were yellow with brown roots that were growing out but then suddenly started turning gray. Their chest & bellies are black & gold like female Rouens' patterns. The beautiful one on the left in both pics behaves like a female and is too pretty to be a male so I call her Splashley. I've called the other one Duckleberry but he now has a white band around his neck so he's now Reverend Duckleberry. Both ducks are very quiet. Splashley seems slightly pigeon-toed & after reading about the niacin deficiency, I need to get on that right away. I also read that although spinach provides calcium, it also inhibits its absorption. I feed them some occasionally because they love it. They also like the fern-like leaves of a mimosa tree, which I think is OK. They also love peas, green beans, mealworms and chasing crickets.

Attachments

• 2023july1.jpg
    2023july1.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 2023june11.jpg
    2023june11.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 6
I would guess it is too early to tell the sex of them. I am just now figuring out mine are males by their voices and they are going on 8 weeks. They say they have their adult voices at 10 weeks. Good luck on figuring out what yours are. They are beautiful ducks.

Back
Top Bottom