What breed of duck should I get?

duckluv

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Ohio
Hi, I'm kinda new to this site, and I was wondering what type of duck I should get. I've been wanting some for a while but only recently started reserching on them. I've been kind of intrested in Welsh Harlequins, but I heard that they can fly and don't want to have to clip wings. I also like the rouens. Any advice?

I want some that are good layers, and take a little longer to mature because I would like to watch them grow. Also it would be good if they were kind of smaller and good scavangers cause I don't want to have to get a big coop or pay to much for feed. I have a little tikes playhouse that is currently being used as a doghouse for my boxer Buddy but he dosen't use it much and we might have to get rid of him.Would that work as a duck-house?

Last edited:
Those playhouses are good if they are in a very secure area and you are in a relatively mild climate. Welsh Harlequins are a nice breed - several people here love them. I have runners which are good layers and they are about three to four pounds each.

Runners sound like a good breed. In fact, I told my dad I might get some of the Emery Penciled Runners because they sorta look like him; tall, skinny and ugly!
lau.gif
. I heard ducks eat bugs, so would I have to get rid of all the spiders that live in there(the playhouse)? I can put chicken wire over the empty slot above the door and if it got to cold for even the ducks I could bring it inside. I was going to put up a ramp to a pool, but then I remembered that it was an inflatible. I also have one of those turtle sandboxes. I think it might be deep enough for small ducklings, but do I have to get another pool for adults?

Last edited:
Get some runners, I like my Rouens and they are fairly good layers but they eat a ton and a half. (I don't think you would have to upgrade to a deeper pool if you didn't want to, as long as it is deep enough to splash water up onto themselves. although if you got a deeper kiddie pool or something they would love it
tongue.png
)

Last edited:
Thanks alot:D! I'm almost definitely getting Runners now! Metzer has pretty much everything I need! @KansasKid: Thanks for the info, I almost got Rouens! And I now this is off topic, but my sister keeps saying that I should get " ninja ducks "a.k.a Cayugas. Any advice? Oh, and i might want some ducklings.
jumpy.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom