What breed of duck should I get?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckluv, Aug 20, 2010.

1. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Hi, I'm kinda new to this site, and I was wondering what type of duck I should get. I've been wanting some for a while but only recently started reserching on them. I've been kind of intrested in Welsh Harlequins, but I heard that they can fly and don't want to have to clip wings. I also like the rouens. Any advice?

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    What qualities are important to you besides not flying?

3. duckluv

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    I want some that are good layers, and take a little longer to mature because I would like to watch them grow. Also it would be good if they were kind of smaller and good scavangers cause I don't want to have to get a big coop or pay to much for feed. I have a little tikes playhouse that is currently being used as a doghouse for my boxer Buddy but he dosen't use it much and we might have to get rid of him.Would that work as a duck-house?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Those playhouses are good if they are in a very secure area and you are in a relatively mild climate. Welsh Harlequins are a nice breed - several people here love them. I have runners which are good layers and they are about three to four pounds each.

5. duckluv

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Runners sound like a good breed. In fact, I told my dad I might get some of the Emery Penciled Runners because they sorta look like him; tall, skinny and ugly![​IMG]. I heard ducks eat bugs, so would I have to get rid of all the spiders that live in there(the playhouse)? I can put chicken wire over the empty slot above the door and if it got to cold for even the ducks I could bring it inside. I was going to put up a ramp to a pool, but then I remembered that it was an inflatible. I also have one of those turtle sandboxes. I think it might be deep enough for small ducklings, but do I have to get another pool for adults?

6. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Get some runners, I like my Rouens and they are fairly good layers but they eat a ton and a half. (I don't think you would have to upgrade to a deeper pool if you didn't want to, as long as it is deep enough to splash water up onto themselves. although if you got a deeper kiddie pool or something they would love it [​IMG])

7. duckluv

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Thanks alot:D! I'm almost definitely getting Runners now! Metzer has pretty much everything I need! @KansasKid: Thanks for the info, I almost got Rouens! And I now this is off topic, but my sister keeps saying that I should get " ninja ducks "a.k.a Cayugas. Any advice? Oh, and i might want some ducklings.[​IMG]

8. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    I totally recommend raising the ducklings. There's nothing more fun than their daily 'swimming lessons' in the bathtub! They are hilarious:lol:

9. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    I'm putting a vote in for Khaki Campbells, they are great layers and flock birds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by