What breed of duck should I get?

I just looked up the Khakis, and now I want those too! I'm thinking about a small flock, mabey 4 or 6 ducklings to start with,(some being drakes) let some of their eggs get fertile, sell most ducklings but keep a couple, let a few of their eggs be fertile, and so on. The question is, do I get Runners, Khakis or both? Any old expert help
old.gif
?

i have a pekin, blue swedish and a runner! i have to say my pekin is the MOST social, but my runner has to take the cake! lol. my blue swedish is around a year and a half old .... and still hasnt layed an egg!! so late bloomer she wins! haha. yes its a girl and im sure i had the vet look
idunno.gif
i love ducks, ducks and silkies thats what i have
big_smile.png

Welsh Harlequins can't fly worth a darn. I have one that, when she gets all excited about treat time, jumps a whole 12" in the air and flaps a few times. Its so pathetic I have to laugh. The rest don't even go that far
big_smile.png

My vote is for runners or cresteds...they BOTH have great personalities, come in a variety of colors and are relatively small. One thing though, my runners have NOT been good mamas...they like to lay the eggs but don't like to take care of the ducklings!!!! Definitely start with ducklings...they will be friendlier and you'll get to watch them grow up!!!

Without splitting hair here I say Runners, Campbells, Welsh Harleqins will do.

I have Cinnamon and brown Campbells not by choice but that was locally available, so far happy with them.

If somebody wants to save on feed, get chickens instead.

Any duck will eat more than a chicken.

Dtown, runners aren't known for their mothering skills.

As for crested, it is a skull defect that causes the crest. If you breed a crested duck to a crested duck, you end up with a lot of dead or deformed ducklings.

Wifezilla wrote:
Dtown, runners aren't known for their mothering skills.

As for crested, it is a skull defect that causes the crest. If you breed a crested duck to a crested duck, you end up with a lot of dead or deformed ducklings

I did not know this about the crested. So glad you said something-----I just got 6 crested ducklings this summer, and was planning on breeding next year-------fortunately, I have a couple of runners, a blue swede, cayuga and khaki campbells I could breed with the crested. Would one of those be o.k.?

Oh, I love my crested ducks, but my very favorite is one of my black runners who is pigeon-toed and keeps stepping on his own feet!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom