What breed of hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by learycow, Nov 16, 2012.

1. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    [​IMG]
    I just got this hen and have no clue what breed she is. They had an assortment of breeds (leghorns, wyandottes, delawares, black sex links) and a few like this. I have brown leghorns and they are smaller framed than this hen, plus she doesn't have the white earlobe. Does anyone know what breed she might be?
    Thanks!

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Looks like a cute Welsummer girl.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    welsummer
    [​IMG]

4. Criskin

Criskin Lost somewhere in a book

Welsummer x 3

5. chickenlover286

chickenlover286 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2012
    Agreed

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, she's a Wellie. Should lay nice dark brown eggs for you!

7. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Welsummer

8. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Thanks everyone! I've never had this breed before so it's exciting to have a new one!

9. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I love my Wellie. Her name is Madeline. She's the most inquisitive and friendly of all my girls. She's only hatchery quality so her eggs aren't that dark, but she's a good layer.

10. estradabernie

estradabernie New Egg

Apr 2, 2013
    I just discovered this. I am in the process of getting some standard size Welsummer hatching eggs. I made an image search for the Welsummer and found out that there are also not only the standard chicken but also the bantam as well. Is your hen small like a bantam? Just curious because I can't tell from the picture if she is a bantam or a standard size. I have three bantam hens and for a very long time I could not figure out what kind of hens I had bought. Now I know. I have Welsummer hens. I'll also be getting the standard size soon. My little hens, as what I have been calling them, are the sweetest little hens in my flock. They make beautiful sweet little sounds when they forage around the yard. I love them.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by