What Breed of Roo's Do I Have Here?

Mmorse21

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2021
I'm guessing barred rock & maybe a rhode island red??? I've just always heard rhode island red roosters are MEAN & this dude is so chill. The black & white roo is also HUGE & has a like a raspy, quieter crow where as the brown one has the totally normal sounding cock-a-doodle-doo. Idk if helps at all with breed identification but I thought it might be note worthy lol.

These pretty boys were dumped in a residential area near me & some kids thought it would be great fun to chase them & beat them with sticks :mad: So I went & rescued them & have no background info on either of them at all.

I've had hens & ducks for over 20 years but never roosters so this is a whole new experience for me. So far though, despite having every reason to attack some children, they haven't tried spurring or biting anyone & are nothing but curious what I'm doing when I go in their area & seem to be way nicer then my fat, old, grouchy hens. 🤞it stays that way & wish me luck!- I'm going to need it....

20210413_143051.jpg
20210413_143033.jpg
20210414_033435.jpg

I'd say barred Plymouth rock for the black and white one, yellow legs and that shape sort of looks like one (not an expert on Plymouths)
I'll do some research on the other, I don't think he's a Rhode island red, they don't have white and have different colouring

Took a bit, I was thinking Sussex X. Then I thought Rhode island red X Mille Fleur booted bantam. Then I found this picture. It's a speckled Sussex rooster. Could be wrong though, the neck colouring is different but has the red body with white, which made me think it could be??

Attachments

• Speckled20Sussex2041.jpg
    Speckled20Sussex2041.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 13
They could both be crosses or poor examples of a breed. Hard to say without any background on them.
The one does look very much Barred Rock but looks a little off.
The other does look similar to a speckled sussex. Shouldn't have a black breast area though.

I agree that it looks closer to a speckled sussex then a rir. It doesn't really matter that much but I only have 8 laying hens so I'll likely only keep 1 roo & was looking to pick whichever one comes from a breed geared more towards egg production.

Should size be a factor in deciding which one to keep? The barred roo is huge & roughly the size of my jumbo pekins & could give a Braham a run for it's money & the SS x isn't small by any means but probably runs closer to the 7-8lb mark. I have a mix of silver laced wyandottes, rhode island reds & an easter egger. All of which are good size hens for their respective breeds. I'm just worried that if I decide to keep the big boy, his huge size might become an issue for my ladies ???

I agree that it looks closer to a speckled sussex then a rir. It doesn't really matter that much but I only have 8 laying hens so I'll likely only keep 1 roo & was looking to pick whichever one comes from a breed geared more towards egg production.

Should size be a factor in deciding which one to keep? The barred roo is huge & roughly the size of my jumbo pekins & could give a Braham a run for it's money & the SS x isn't small by any means but probably runs closer to the 7-8lb mark. I have a mix of silver laced wyandottes, rhode island reds & an easter egger. All of which are good size hens for their respective breeds. I'm just worried that if I decide to keep the big boy, his huge size might become an issue for my ladies ???
If you plan to hatch eggs then the big size might be an advantage when it comes time to cull out the males.

Good job for rescuing them from a bad situation. Probably hatchery quality barred rock and speckled Sussex, but they could be crosses, too. They look pretty healthy considering what they've been through.

Back
Top Bottom