What breed of turkey am I ? (NEW PIC)!!

love.gif
:love:loveGORGEOUS, none the less!!

I want turkeys!!! My husband already thinks I have lost my mind with the chickens................"If I could get just a 1/3 of the time you spend with those chickens, I could be a happy man...."

Are turkeys hard to raise? Do your free range? Do they need several hens per male like the chickens? Gosh, they are SO BEAUTIFUL!!
droolin.gif

A royal palm should be just black and white, and would have white wing coverts (the coverts are the big gray patch in the Narragansett wing). This bird has quite a bit of brown mixed in, and the coverts are distinctly dark. The only real question is if the brown is plain brown from the bronze genes, or diluted red from a single red gene. If it were from a red gene, it would be a calico. A calico is a royal palm with a single red gene (a red palm has two red genes). Calicos have fairly light coverts. A sweetgrass is a Royal Palm without any Narragansett genes. Both Calicos and Sweetgrass have the palm genes, which explains the similarities.

Quote:
1) no they arent hard to raise, need good protein feed and a hot brooder as poults, but aside from that pretty tough birds.
2) yes you can free range or keep them penned, I do both
3) I run up to 4-5 hens per tom, keeps them from over breeding and hurting just one hen. They can cut thier backs with their sharp toe nails ue to their weight.

Back
Top Bottom