What breed of yours lays the most eggs?

rosyposyosy

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
Out of my EE, a Marans/BR, and my banty cochin, my banty cochin Fajita takes the cake. She lays every single day. I got the 3 breeds for a variety of eggs, but my egg cartons just look like small cream colored eggs, with the occasional blue or brown egg.

So, which breed of yours lays the most eggs? Be sure to mention what other breeds you have.

Last edited:
We are down to EE and Silky hens at this time. Our EE girls are pretty much every day layers, they seem to take turns taking a day off.

My Silky girls, on the other hand, have me mumbling explatives under my breath...
rant.gif
somad.gif
Out of the 3 of them, only Sta Puff lays regularly for me. Her sisters, the Blue Witches are constantly taking turns going broody and being broke of their broody.
smack.gif
Not many eggs being produced there unfortunately.
hit.gif

Dawn

Last edited:
My RIRs lay the best at 6 or 7 a week.

My Salmon Faverolles and Speckled Sussex lay the next most at 4 - 5 a week... maybe they'll start to laying even more when we start having longer days, though.

My Silkies lay well when they lay, but they tend to only lay a few weeks before they go broody.

My Ameraucanas definitely aren't winter layers! (They're still my favorites, though.
love.gif
)

I bought 10 hens of each: RIR, White Rock and Yellow Buff Rocks. I believe my Reds are the best layers so far but a very close 2nd would be the whites. And actually I can only give the Reds the edge because they started laying a bit earlier. They are all laying right now with the exception of the buffs. There are only 5 of 10 laying at 31 weeks:confused:. Only advantage that I see with the buffs is the eggs are a bit bigger in size when you get one.
gmc

My leghorns lay almost every day, so do the campines, when all others all but quit, I got 3or 4 white eggs a day from 4 hens that lay white eggs. Not sure how effeciant the others have been, but since havent got 25 eggsout of 25 hens yet.

My Red Stars have been pretty consistent with their laying...We've not had to buy eggs in over a year since i got them.

I love their brown eggs...EEs are good too!

2 Red Stars.......2 eggs every day.........been laying for 3 months and have gotten just 1 egg only about 7 days

3 BR..........have been laying about 1 month.............about every 3 days, I get only 2 eggs

2 JG.........have been laying about 1 month............in 1 week I get about 8 to 10 eggs.

1 Bantam Cochin.........layed 1st egg this past Sunday.........I got my 3rd egg from her today.

1 Bantam silkieX..............broody, setting on empty nest right now..................when laying, I get 4 to 5 eggs a week

1 oegb.............hasn't laid in about 4 to 5 weeks..........when laying, I get about 4 to 5 eggs a week

Out of 8 layers right now, I get 6 to 8 eggs everyday.

My others aren't laying yet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom