What Breed or Gender section

Wynette

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Sep 25, 2007
Michigan
There are always so many folks asking about breed/gender, yet they often post pictures that are unhelpful in allowing us to give an opinion.

I'd love it if we could make a sticky at the top of that section with maybe some guidelines about the best way to take pics to ensure that the posters get good feedback.

We need to see a good side shot including the entire body, a front shot, and is at all possible, a close-up of the head so we can see the comb in good detail. Of course, always put the breed and age in the subject line so we all know. Here are a few pics that I think are good examples of picture setup (though probably not great quality pics...I've never been good at that):

OE-blackboy-side-4wks.jpg

OE-blackgirl-front-4wks.jpg

OE-bluegirl-4wksfront.jpg

What are folks' thoughts?

That'd be pretty good... A lot of times folks show ya a tiny photo of a bird a half-mile off and say "What is it?!" I think this'd be helpful to everybody involved LOL.

Yeah, I always feel badly when it's a picture that's not very helpful, because gosh, BEEN THERE, DONE THAT on wondering the gender, and I really want to be able to help by giving good feedback!

Wynette, it is a very good idea. Let's do this:

Can you create the thread which you are suggesting and include:

1) Very good details on exactly what the pictures should look like and then provide the examples you have (remember to keep the pictures relatively small or use thumbnails that link to bigger pictures so everyone will be able to see the whole image).

2) List some of the ways / things people look for when trying to determine the sex of a chick.

3) Ask others to participate with their thoughts and suggestions on how to take good pictures and how to determine what gender their chick is.

I think that would be a great thread to sticky in the "What Breed Or Gender is This?" section!

Back
Top Bottom