What breed rooster is this?

I read a distinguishing characteristic is that they only have 4 toes; however, so does the barred rock, so that's confusing too lol.

Are easter eggers basically just mutts?
Yes. Easter Egger is the name for any bird that carries or lays colored eggs. When you think of an EE, you will probably think of a bird with puffy cheeks, a pea comb, clean legs, and four toes. This is thanks to their Ameraucana forefathers. The 'canas were bred with random breeds, and their offspring were bred with other random breeds or other EEs. The other popular EE ancestor is the Cream Legbar. These birds have a single comb with a funky little crest, which are traits they pass on to their offspring. Now, with all this mixing going on, you've got birds with similar dominant traits (pea combs, muffs, and crests), but all the other traits vary widely. They can come in any feather pattern, be standard or bantam size, have four toes, five toes, single combs, rose combs, feathered feet, brown eyes, green eyes, or anything else you can possibly imagine a chicken having or not having.

Yes. Easter Egger is the name for any bird that carries or lays colored eggs. When you think of an EE, you will probably think of a bird with puffy cheeks, a pea comb, clean legs, and four toes. This is thanks to their Ameraucana forefathers. The 'canas were bred with random breeds, and their offspring were bred with other random breeds or other EEs. The other popular EE ancestor is the Cream Legbar. These birds have a single comb with a funky little crest, which are traits they pass on to their offspring. Now, with all this mixing going on, you've got birds with similar dominant traits (pea combs, muffs, and crests), but all the other traits vary widely. They can come in any feather pattern, be standard or bantam size, have four toes, five toes, single combs, rose combs, feathered feet, brown eyes, green eyes, or anything else you can possibly imagine a chicken having or not having.
Wow! So basically any chicken can be an easter egger it seems 😅. I guess I have a lot to learn.

If you want both meat and eggs then maybe you can find a way to give that barred rock roo an attitude adjustment.
How do you get a roo in line? The barred rock now has come after me a few times and I've swatted him away but now I think he sees me as a threat and comes after me more. Do they just get worse? Is there any way to change their behavior? We're trying to decide which one goes in the freezer. This easter egger who is the beta (but has bitten me once) and the barred rock. He's super protective of the girls, but I fear he may end up being too aggressive for me. He could change though.

How do you get a roo in line? The barred rock now has come after me a few times and I've swatted him away but now I think he sees me as a threat and comes after me more. Do they just get worse? Is there any way to change their behavior? We're trying to decide which one goes in the freezer. This easter egger who is the beta (but has bitten me once) and the barred rock. He's super protective of the girls, but I fear he may end up being too aggressive for me. He could change though.
Eat the one which looks more tasty of course! Unless you want to get chicks from tasty cock, who will also be tasty.

Back
Top Bottom