What breed rooster is this?

noelgeorgia

Chirping
Jun 6, 2023
I can't get in touch with the couple who bred our chickens to find out what kind he is. He's really beautiful with sheens of emeral green and black especially in his tail. Some of the other chickens we got with him at the same time (same incubator) were sapphire gems, barred rocks and black hens. Any idea what you would call this guy? Also some australorp in some of the hens. He seems pretty sweet so far. The other rooster is a barred rock and he came at me a couple of times so I think we may need to make soup out of that one and keep this one.

Australorp, Sapphire Gem Blend 1.jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-06-18 at 9.25.08 PM.png

Attachments

• Australorp, Sapphire Gem Blend 2.jpeg
    Australorp, Sapphire Gem Blend 2.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 7
He looks like an Easter egger to me. He's gorgeous.
Oh wow, thanks! I'm so confused about Easter Eggers and the colors they can be. I had a gray and white rooster easter egger we had to dispatch. Also have a yellowish easter egger hen with black trim on her wings. I see pictures online of a rooster with white and pinkish hues. Also, on a hatchery site they show some hens in black that look just like one of my hens (same pretty black eyes) and I was told she's my sapphire gem. Now I'm wondering.

If you want both meat and eggs then maybe you can find a way to give that barred rock roo an attitude adjustment.
The barred rock rooster is definitely more alpha and protective than this guy, but that could come with other issues if he starts chasing people around and pecking (or worse). I gave him a good swat back with my foot last night. At only 16 weeks, I wonder if that behavior is only going to get worse. Keeping them both isn't good for the 5 hens I think.

Back
Top Bottom