What breed(s) of chickens do you want, but have a tough time finding?

Pics
I don't even know if it exists, but I'd like a standard sized Mille Fleur. I love that feather pattern!
Yes!
I'm even having trouble finding bantams. But what I really want is standard size Mille Fleur.
I guess specked Sussex have similarish feather pattern but I love the feathered feet!

I don’t think so. OEGB are still by far the most popular show bird out of any breed.
😅
Not in the Netherlands and Belgium. Here we have beautiful Dutch, Schijndelaar, naine de Tournaisis, Groninger gull, Braekel and many more beautiful breeds. Often available in many colours.
Yes!
I'm even having trouble finding bantams. But what I really want is standard size Mille Fleur.
I guess specked Sussex have similarish feather pattern but I love the feathered feet!
Mille fleur is a color not a breed.
I have two bantam red specked Sussex chicks. Made contact with a breeder who lives about 10 miles from where I live. I was interested in his bantam Vorwerks for hatching eggs in spring. I bought 3 eggs of each. Last weekend 2 Sussex and 3 Vorwerk hatched.

IMG_1515.jpeg

Not in the Netherlands and Belgium. Here we have beautiful Dutch, Schijndelaar, naine de Tournaisis, Groninger gull, Braekel and many more beautiful breeds. Often available in many colours.
Sorry, I mean in the US. We have shows that are just game bantams in the south. Most breeds have less than a thousand exhibited yearly (at least that are reported to the APA) while OEGB are a few thousand.
That said, red pyle probably does need more dedicated breeders but I am not worried about Seramas, at least as far as OEGB are concerned.

Would love to get Russian Pavlovskaya, there is a breeder here in Canada but they don’t ship chicks, just eggs.
Why not try it. I know a breeder with beautiful show chickens (Braekel) who sends eggs by posts all over Europe. He makes sure they are wel wrapped in soft toilet paper and puts them one by one in an egg carton. The full egg carton is wrapped in anti shock material again. I heard that the outcome of the egg’s varies very much. Sometimes is near to 100%, often 50% and once or twice it was a complete failure.
Make sure the eggs rest properly before you put the in an incubator or under a perfect broody hen.
The eggs are expensive of course. But if you breed them from there you can make a large group within 2 years. After 2-3 generations I think it’s best to look for fresh blood.

Why not try it. I know a breeder with beautiful show chickens (Braekel) who sends eggs by posts all over Europe. He makes sure they are wel wrapped in soft toilet paper and puts them one by one in an egg carton. The full egg carton is wrapped in anti shock material again. I heard that the outcome of the egg’s varies very much. Sometimes is near to 100%, often 50% and once or twice it was a complete failure.
Make sure the eggs rest properly before you put the in an incubator or under a perfect broody hen.
The eggs are expensive of course. But if you breed them from there you can make a large group within 2 years. After 2-3 generations I think it’s best to look for fresh blood.
Yes I could do that, and likely will next year. I just worry about getting eggs delivered incorrectly or destroyed.

I think what I will do is next time I work out west I shall make a stop at this hatchery and grab a bunch of chicks and bring home. I can set up a brooder bin in my truck easy.

Back
Top Bottom