What breed(s) of chickens do you want, but have a tough time finding?

You’re lucky. If people weren’t expecting convenient mail order chicks, I think the purebred poultry scene here would be a lot better.

Not necessarily. Like I said, here we don't have hatcheries (not like what you guys have at least) and we also have very few good breeders. The people that want to get chicks fast and don't care/know about the quality of the bird will not go searching for one. What has ended up happening here is that those people cross their birds to the point no breed is recognizable, eventually selling those birds as a "rare Greek breed" to clueless beginners. So while it would definitely help some people, it will definitely not be helpful for others

I can promise you if regular chickens you can find in the USA don’t meet your expectations, the ones that aren’t already here won’t either. 😅

I mean, there is a breed I really wish was in the US (Franconian geese) but it really seems like you want these because you can’t have them.
When people imported breeds and they became popular it’s because they were beautiful and valuable and did well in America. So I’d at least hope they were good breeds.

“The scarcity effect is a psychological phenomenon that says when you see something that is rare, desirable, or expensive, your subconscious mind makes you think about having it more than if you saw something that was abundant. This happens because we tend to associate value with rarity.”
https://hackspirit.com/why-do-people-want-what-they-cant-have/
I understand what you mean, and that might be why I would like to have them. BUt I have been known as a stubborn and occasionally impatient person, and might import them myself when I have the time, space, money, and age to do so.

I can promise you if regular chickens you can find in the USA don’t meet your expectations, the ones that aren’t already here won’t either. 😅

I mean, there is a breed I really wish was in the US (Franconian geese) but it really seems like you want these because you can’t have them.
When people imported breeds and they became popular it’s because they were beautiful and valuable and did well in America. So I’d at least hope they were good breeds.

“The scarcity effect is a psychological phenomenon that says when you see something that is rare, desirable, or expensive, your subconscious mind makes you think about having it more than if you saw something that was abundant. This happens because we tend to associate value with rarity.”
https://hackspirit.com/why-do-people-want-what-they-cant-have/
I can say that's what happened with my Ayam cemani and American bresse. I got them because I thought they'd be amazing due to their scarcity and popularity.

They weren't my cup of tea. The cemani were too fragile, and the bresse..... were just white birds that grew slow. My male was a loveable dofuss, but they just..... weren't anything like I'd been expecting.

I will say, my ketwas and araucanas definitely haven't left me wanting though on the otherhand. Not perfect, since my ketwa male only Chuckles, not full on laughs, and my araucana eggs are not as blue as I hoped, but they're much more pleasing to look at than the bresse and cemani were.

That's honestly why my list is the way it is. They're likely built up in my mind so much more than they should be. But I'd like to try and maybe be happily confirmed that rhey are everything I'm imagining them to be.

Back
Top Bottom