What breed(s) of chickens do you want, but have a tough time finding?

I find my single combed Anconas to be nonflighty. But I don’t know if that is the case for all strains, including rosecombed. Anconas go broody sometimes, but I don’t believe it’s more than the average chicken.

Ah, I forgot those came in a rosecombed variety as well! My single-combed Ancona is also definitely not flighty, and she's never gone broody in the 10 years I've had her, but she's a hatchery Ancona and, as you point out, different strains might make a difference on those traits. 🙂

Dong Tao
Wooly Svart Hona
Kadaknath
Ohiki
Black QUechua OLmec
Huastec
Ponape
Raraku
KOro Sea
Sweet Potato QUechua
COlloncas
Kiri Kiri
Tapu
Spice island bantam
Wallikiki basket bantam
Ayam Pelung
REd junglefowl
GReen junglefowl
GRey junglefowl
Sri lankan jungkefowl
and a lot more.
I can promise you if regular chickens you can find in the USA don’t meet your expectations, the ones that aren’t already here won’t either. 😅

I mean, there is a breed I really wish was in the US (Franconian geese) but it really seems like you want these because you can’t have them.
When people imported breeds and they became popular it’s because they were beautiful and valuable and did well in America. So I’d at least hope they were good breeds.

“The scarcity effect is a psychological phenomenon that says when you see something that is rare, desirable, or expensive, your subconscious mind makes you think about having it more than if you saw something that was abundant. This happens because we tend to associate value with rarity.”
https://hackspirit.com/why-do-people-want-what-they-cant-have/

The chickens I want don't exist. If I could get my hands on Arucana from the UK I would probably be satisfied.

Arucana and Ameraucana that we have in America have different and separate SOPs here. The ones in the UK and Australia and combined. They can be rumpless, come in a huge variety of colors and have crests.

The chickens I want don't exist. If I could get my hands on Arucana from the UK I would probably be satisfied.

Arucana and Ameraucana that we have in America have different and separate SOPs here. The ones in the UK and Australia and combined. They can be rumpless, come in a huge variety of colors and have crests.
I really like the UK ones with the crests. Half toy with the idea of recreating them for my own pleasure when I have better facilities

I suppose I am quite lucky to live in the Netherlands when it comes to buying special breeds or heritage breeds.
Of course lots of breeds that are available in the US, are not available in Europe. But there is the other way around too.

Some things are really different organised here. Like we can’t buy chicks from huge hatcheries who send chicks that are posted alive. Most breeders that sell chickens, chicks of hatching eggs try to keep up with the standard.

We have much choice when it comes to bantams. Probably because most Dutch people dont have large gardens. I have a garden of about 1/8 of an acre, which is not bad at all in my country. For me a reasons to choose bantams for sure.

The bantams I have bought in the past are Dutch in different colors, naine de Tournaisis, and bantan RIR.
I preferred to buy hatching eggs most of the time.

Recently I bought several hatching eggs:
5 Dutch in 5 different colors. (4 hatched one on the photo left behind, chick with the eyeliner)
3 bantam Vorwerk. (All hatched + on the photo)
3 bantam red porcelain Sussex (2 hatched , one right behind)

The mama in the picture is a cross breed: Dutch x Tournaisis.

IMG_1512.jpeg

Some things are really different organised here. Like we can’t buy chicks from huge hatcheries who send chicks that are posted alive. Most breeders that sell chickens, chicks of hatching eggs try to keep up with the standard.

This. It's a very good thing when you live in a larger and more organized European country (in my opinion at least) since you know you are most likely getting quality stock from good breeders, but if you live in a smaller country, that hasn't really bothered with breed preservation, especially for fowl, it makes things a little harder. You have to be good at networking, and you have to know where to look and when to look. Aside from that minor inconvenience, you'll end up with good quality birds for the most part

This. It's a very good thing when you live in a larger and more organized European country (in my opinion at least) since you know you are most likely getting quality stock from good breeders, but if you live in a smaller country, that hasn't really bothered with breed preservation, especially for fowl, it makes things a little harder. You have to be good at networking, and you have to know where to look and when to look. Aside from that minor inconvenience, you'll end up with good quality birds for the most part
The Netherlands is a very small country (with a big mouth so to speak) . But yes, in general you can say Dutch are organised traders and have a reputation in breeding and selecting, similar to the English. Belgiums and Germans.
Some people in other European countries order hatching eggs from breeders in the Netherlands, because they have a hard time to buy them in their own country/region. But I think it’s only allowed to do so within Europe to prevent spreading diseases.

The Netherlands is a very small country (with a big mouth so to speak) . But yes, in general you can say Dutch are organised traders and have a reputation in breeding and selecting, similar to the English. Belgiums and Germans.
Some people in other European countries order hatching eggs from breeders in the Netherlands, because they have a hard time to buy them in their own country/region. But I think it’s only allowed to do so within Europe to prevent spreading diseases.

Yes, you are correct, Holland is pretty small, but I was thinking more of countries like Germany, Italy, the UK, Spain...but you guys are definitely the exception, so organized😅 My country is definitely larger that yours yet we don't even have a poultry club (at least not one that I know of) go figure :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom