What breed(s) should I start my flock with?

Yes, they are Barred Plymouth Rocks, a color variation. And I do not know if other colors are the same characteristics, but I would imagine they are. There are surely forums discussing this. You are going to have a wonderful time with your chickens, whatever kinds/colors you get. It's going to be an adventure!

So does that mean that barred rocks are nothing more than a color variation of the Plymouth Rock? There are no differences besides color and pattern?
Yup! They are simply a recognized color variation of the plymouth rock. I believe there are also partridge plymouth rocks along with the white ones. Murray Mc Murray advertised the partridges as slightly smaller though...

Also, I thought I might just add my two cents
big_smile.png

I had a buff orpington and she was lovely, but she died of heat stroke when my neighbor was chicken sitting for me (she forgot to open the coop in the morning. We closed it at night due to local foxes and cats) Here in NJ, if I were to have another orpington, I would always have to be aware of the temperature. They are also pretty large in comparison to your other bird choices, and don't lay as much in my experience.
I personally like EE's. They tolerate the cold pretty well and because of their smaller combs, they do well during the winter too. They also lay green/blue/pinkish eggs!
I can also highly recommend the Rhode Island Red (which also has a white variety if you like that better) and black australorps.

Different people have different experiences with flightiness of breeds. My first batch of chicks I constantly handled. Except for 2 barred rocks, they were all different breeds and I could easily tell them apart. Each had their own name and I got very VERY attached. I imagine that since you won't be getting a huge number of birds, that you might baby your chicks like I did: that's awesome! It makes the birdies so much nicer when they grow up. No matter what breeds you choose, if you handle the chicks often they are more likely to be friendly (at least towards you) adults!

i have 2 golden laced wyandottes, 2 black astrolopes, 1 EE, the other fell to a raccoon. 1 RIR , 1 welsommer and 1 unknown. im on long island, all stand both the summer heat and winter cold just fine. i give them places to hide from the wind in the winter, and shade in the summer. they are starting to get older, so their egg production this winter was pretty spotty, but they did pretty good up til now. just this week i started getting eggs daily, they probably realized that the 8 week old chicks in the next pen could be there replacements so they are laying again. good luck choosing your chicks. i choose a mixed flock and it worked out fine.

I live in New Hampshire and have not had any issues weather wise with any if my flick. I started out with 3 barred rocks and 3 Rhode Island reds. We handled them a lot and they are very friendly and talkative, well as friendly as a chicken can be. I have 17 girls now and 1 rooster all different breeds gold Wyandottes. Barnvelders they lay a nice dark brown large egg. Large Cochin she lays a light brown egg but not too often but she is very friendly and broody. I also have bantam pullerts, Silkies,Easter eggers and I do have one brown leghorn and she lays Med size eggs but she's very flighty. If I didn't have my run covered she would be in the trees lol. Good luck on your choices. There r so many to choose from

We called a place to ask what chicks they had, and they told us they had "black giant," among others. Is this a breed or just a name for a breed like black sex link or australorp?

I'm getting closer to these chicks, thanks to all of your help!

We called a place to ask what chicks they had, and they told us they had "black giant," among others. Is this a breed or just a name for a breed like black sex link or australorp?

I'm getting closer to these chicks, thanks to all of your help!

If they don't know the breed of chicken, I would not buy there - just me.
hmm.png

Thanks everyone! We finally bought them. Here is what we settled for:

Barred rock - Gertrude
Silver laced wyandotte - Princess
Golden Comet - Nugget
Columbian rock cross - Hedwig
Rhode Island Red - Phoenix
Araucana - Cotton

Thanks again, BYC!

Back
Top Bottom