What breed/sex is this? Wondering if the hatchery sold it wrong...

photojunkie21

Hatching
Apr 18, 2015
Indiana
Chick hatch date is unknown, but I would guess based on feathers that we got it around 1-2 weeks old. It was sold as a Barnevelder pullet, but all the barnevelders I'm seeing at this age range already have that laced look to them and are undeniably black necked. Any ideas? Chick is approx 6-7 weeks old now.

As a new chick

two weeks later

Here are some up close photos of the wattles and comb I was able to get today. Our Welsummer chick has no color whatsoever on wattles or comb. This one has wattles that are growing and turning red plus a reddening comb.Is the consensus then still that this is a Welsummer pullet vs the Barnevelder it was sold as (called the hatchery. Said either ideal sent them the wrong ones or he grabbed the wrong chick. Oops.). Still hoping for a pullet, although I was SO excited to have a Barnevelder pullet
1f614.png

That's not a Welsummer....chick down doesn't line up.
Would you please keep us updated? I ordered a Barnevelder back in 2015, and ended up with something mahogany red and penciled. :) She was a gorgeous girl, and definitely a Barnevelder, just some sort of "mutation," so to speak.

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom