What Breed Should I Get?

Pics
I got them back in June. They shipped on Tuesday and we got them Wednesday.

I live north of Chico. Not super far away.
I love that part of our state! So pretty!!!

Good to know. I have been worried about the USPS during COVID. I hope I get mine that quickly!

I want to know all about them! Were they in good shape when they arrived? How many? What breeds? How are they doing?

I've always been chicken crazy, but I've got ducks on the brain now! Haha!

It is a beautiful area. I have to say your area of California is one of my favorite places to visit, and is very beautiful as well. I feel like I need to go a road trip again.

I was super worried about getting them in the mail as well. I picked Metzer cause they were so close and would not have to ship far. They all arrived safely and were healthy. We ordered 3 welsh, 3 saxony, and 2 swedish; all female. We got all females. They are all doing well and have had no issues. I attached a couple photos of some of them.

Attachments

• DSC_0302.JPG
    DSC_0302.JPG
    803.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0394.JPG
    DSC_0394.JPG
    286.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0291.JPG
    DSC_0291.JPG
    834.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0308.JPG
    DSC_0308.JPG
    797.3 KB · Views: 4
It is a beautiful area. I have to say your area of California is one of my favorite places to visit, and is very beautiful as well. I feel like I need to go a road trip again.

I was super worried about getting them in the mail as well. I picked Metzer cause they were so close and would not have to ship far. They all arrived safely and were healthy. We ordered 3 welsh, 3 saxony, and 2 swedish; all female. We got all females. They are all doing well and have had no issues. I attached a couple photos of some of them.
They are beautiful!!!! ❤❤❤ This has absolutely eased my fears (for now). You know I'll be a wreck while they're in transit.

My ship date is 2/8. I am counting down the days...
Screenshot_20210112-214417_One UI Home.jpg

I really love the dark bills on the Welsh and the iridescent green on the Swedish!

We had buffs for a while....they were gorgeous but so so so loud. If you are near neighbors...consider muscovy ducks. We have 3 and they are amazing. They literally act like our dogs... they follow you, listen, very funny to watch! Plus....so very quiet. I do have to clip their wings occasionally to stop them from.flying but its super easy (thanks to you tube). We have females and they are a nice size...and not 'ugly' as some say the males are with their unique faces.

We had buffs for a while....they were gorgeous but so so so loud. If you are near neighbors...consider muscovy ducks. We have 3 and they are amazing. They literally act like our dogs... they follow you, listen, very funny to watch! Plus....so very quiet. I do have to clip their wings occasionally to stop them from.flying but its super easy (thanks to you tube). We have females and they are a nice size...and not 'ugly' as some say the males are with their unique faces.
I have no near neighbors, and my county requires anyone who lives here to sign that they acknowledge that they may have to deal with farm noise. Love that clause! I have a very, very loud rooster. The nearest neighbors are about 1/3 mile away on the other side of our wooded ravine.

I would have ordered a Muscovy, honestly, but they are sold out. They MUST be a great breed!

I have no near neighbors, and my county requires anyone who lives here to sign that they acknowledge that they may have to deal with farm noise. Love that clause! I have a very, very loud rooster. The nearest neighbors are about 1/3 mile away on the other side of our wooded ravine.

I would have ordered a Muscovy, honestly, but they are sold out. They MUST be a great breed!
Ducks are going like wildfire! We ended up getting ours at 2 days old from craigslist

Well, talking to @WannaBeHillBilly , I found out Meyer's gets their ducks from Metzer's, which is about 2 hrs from my house! I decided I'd cancel my order for Meyer's and pick them up at the farm. Ideal situation!

I canceled my order and called Mezter's, and I find out they aren't allowing pick ups (COVID strikes again). So it's going to take 2-3 days to go what would take 2 hrs by car.

Since they now have to go through San Francisco, I figured they needed to be really warm.

So I ordered a Pekin, too!
🤣🤣🤣

I'll tell DH she was a "packing peanut." Ha!
You have already ordered? - I would have recommended a White Layer duck instead of a Pekin! They lay more eggs and are less susceptible to leg and hip problems, but are as goofy as Pekins.

Back
Top Bottom