What breed should i get?

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
OK, long story short, i put my silkie hen, and her two babies outside with the older chickens. mama ditched her babies to me with her BF, and the cat ate one :(

PLEASE! no lectures! i feel bad enough! i just dont know what to do with this lone baby! the RIR roo almost killed the poor sweety!

ANYWAY! i dont know if i should ask my mom if i can get another chick to keep this one happy. or just keep this lone chick my him/herself! i think it would be happier with a buddy, dont you?

heres a link to a hatchery that doesnt have a minimum, and there close to me. so i can go there to get one if i have too....

http://www.poultryhollow.org/new-page-2.htm

what breed is the friendliest? the one i have now is a black lav split orp. im really wanting a BO.... but are they friendly enough? i want pet chickens....

thanks so much guys! :eek:)

OK, long story short, i put my silkie hen, and her two babies outside with the older chickens. mama ditched her babies to me with her BF, and the cat ate one :(

PLEASE! no lectures! i feel bad enough! i just dont know what to do with this lone baby! the RIR roo almost killed the poor sweety!

ANYWAY! i dont know if i should ask my mom if i can get another chick to keep this one happy. or just keep this lone chick my him/herself! i think it would be happier with a buddy, dont you?

heres a link to a hatchery that doesnt have a minimum, and there close to me. so i can go there to get one if i have too....

http://www.poultryhollow.org/new-page-2.htm

what breed is the friendliest? the one i have now is a black lav split orp. im really wanting a BO.... but are they friendly enough? i want pet chickens....

thanks so much guys! :eek:)

I would definitely another one or two. In the short run a small mirror and mini-stuff animal will keep it company.

I would definitely another one or two. In the short run a small mirror and mini-stuff animal will keep it company.

UPDATE! i found the other chick!!!!!! i feel so blessed!

so would it be a good idea to get one more just incase? what breed?

YYYIIIPPPEEEEEEE!!!!

Get a red star, or a black star! Or a buff orpignton. Or a brahama. Or a wyandotte, easter egger, production red...etc. :) Glad you found the chick.

P.S Whatever you do DON"T get a white leghorn.

Im getting barred plymouth rocks, black autralorp's, golden commets, and some white plymouth rocks. Congradulations on finding that one chick!
thumbsup.gif
u must be relieved!

Some opinions on the breeds I have: Easter eggers are great! Mine are some of the friendliest of the flock, they come in a variety of colors plus you get colorful eggs (who doesn't like that? :) ) . Dominiques are one of my favs since they're one of if not the oldest breed in America and are very calm and friendly. I have one that follows me around the coop! Silver and golden-laced wyandottes I think are some of the most beautiful birds there are, are friendly and very cold-hardy. Delawares are very calm and docile and another friendly breed. I have two and they always come running up to me to see what I'm up to! I have a RIR rooster in the henhouse and he is wonderful with the two full grown hens we have. He's always looking out for them and calls them over for food whenever I bring them kitchen scraps. I pick him up without ever a struggle and I think he even enjoys me petting and fussing over him!

I hope I haven't thrown too much at you. I guess my advice would be to think about what you truly want in raising chickens and in a chicken breed. We wanted to mostly raise a variety of good old fashioned American breeds that layed colorful eggs. We wanted to get some that had the potential to have a calm, friendly temperment so our girls (and in the future our son) could handle and have as pets. Good luck with whichever breed(s) you research and choose!

Back
Top Bottom