What breed should I get?

h0m3gr0wn

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 12, 2012
I am new to the forum and I am not sure where I should post this question...here seemed good :) I live in a suburban area and plan to get 4 hens. We want them for eggs primarily but would love friendly hens. We have weeks on end of 100+ degree days and freeze in the winter. Plan on having an outdoor fan and misters in the summer and a heat bulb in winter.

If there is a board better suited for my question let me know.

Hi, welcome to BYC....I think u can keep this thred here. its in the catagory.

Barred plymouth rocks are a geat breed for all types of weather, hot or cold....so are rhode island reds. both of these are good egg layers
Buff Orpingtons are great for cold weather, but not so great in the heat...their egg laying is decent though, and most are friendly.
There are probably a few other breeds that fit what u want, and u can go to the 'Breeds' page on here to find more info including Weather tolerant, egg laying, characteristics and more...u can use this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Welcome to BYC! If you are looking for hardy hens that lay well, and have a good personality, I'd recommend one of the red sex linked varieties. They are commonly named Cinnamon Queens, Gold Commets, etc. They are hybrids that are very common in hatcheries.

I really like my Speckled Sussex. They've done great in both extreme heat and extreme cold and are my friendliest birds.

I think u should get Rhode Island Reds or red susex both I read are very friendly and they also look very nice, I think they are really simple to take care of the things I do to take care of my chickens are

-Open there coop and say hello
-Give them food
-Let them run around in the afternoon that's what I do while I'm at school they don't really need any taking care of in the afternoon maybe some human company but that's it as long as they have food
-spend time with them give them some treats
- lock them up in there coop

I agree about the Speckled Sussex. They are friendly, curious, and good layers. They survived our 100+ summer and cold winters just fine. Even my roo is sweet.

Rhode Island Red (light brown eggs) , leghorn (white Eggs) , marans (dark brown eggs) , and an easter egger (blue or green eggs) for friendly birds and a colorful egg basket!

Back
Top Bottom