What breed/strain of chickens do the ROSS 308 originate from?

united

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 19, 2010
this breed is a broiler chichen .I'm looking for information to learn if they are genetically modified, and their strain. Thanks for any links or information.

Outside of a laboratory there are no chickens that are genetically modified or the offsring of GM ancestors.

Genetically Modified meaning that they have not be produced with gene splicing, cloneing, assembling various body parts (frakenstiened), nuking or any other extraordinary means.

Broiler chickens are, in a simplified manner of understanding it, the product of four seperate families. If you will, the grandparents are each of a seperate family unrelated to one another. The grandparents are in the truest sense of the word "breeds" unto themselves. These families meet (actually excell at the critera for identification as a breed in everyway. Except that they are not recognized by a name in the general public.

The end product if this process, in this case the Ross 308s, are just simple crossbreeds. Nothing more.

The term "Hybrid" was applied to them decades ago as an advertising gimmic.

Thanks. Do you know/ have a link to find which crossbreeds are used in Ross?

thumbsup.gif

I think that the issue here lies at the GGP Stock level. The Ross 308 is a combination Plymouth Rocks and Cornish X. What simply happens is that these birds are crossed. The best stock is simply kept for the GP Stock. From the GP the best are kept for Parent Stock. From the Parent Stock we get the commercial. I do not think it is that much of a trade secret. It is just a matter of crossing the right birds in order to maximize growth. They use the Plymouth Rock because of the rapid growth rate and the Cornish X because of the tender meat. I remember whilst growing up my mom used to send me to the local store to purchase chicken and she ordered always to purchase a cornish because its meat is succulent. I think that if you had the resources and very importantly the time then you could cross the best birds and obtain commercial broilers. The key is to cross the best performing birds. It is a numbers game.

Quote:
If it were only that simple.

I would suggest that before any of the readers interested in this subject invest much time or money in a project using the information offered above that they research further.

Quote:

I would suggest that before any of the readers interested in this subject invest much time or money in a project using the information offered above that they research further.

thanks for the help....

instead of merely pointing out that this person may be wrongly informed why not offer some useful advice yourself? this site is for learning, so if you have any knowledge you see relevant, why not share?

ETA the day we stop learning is the day we die ~ so let's share our knowledge while we can!!
old.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

thanks for the help....

instead of merely pointing out that this person may be wrongly informed why not offer some useful advice yourself? this site is for learning, so if you have any knowledge you see relevant, why not share?

ETA the day we stop learning is the day we die ~ so let's share our knowledge while we can!!
old.gif

I think Mr. Grassbaugh did accurately and politely answer the question with his first post by indicating that it is a very well kept trade secret. A following poster indicated that the information was not proprietary and a simple matter to reproduce. I think Mr. Grassbaugh threw the BS flag and I will add that my bets are with Mr. Grassbaugh given his deep experience in the broiler business.

Quote:
thanks for the help....

old.gif

I think Mr. Grassbaugh did accurately and politely answer the question with his first post by indicating that it is a very well kept trade secret. A following poster indicated that the information was not proprietary and a simple matter to reproduce. I think Mr. Grassbaugh threw the BS flag and I will add that my bets are with Mr. Grassbaugh given his deep experience in the broiler business.

um.........ok..... i don't think anyone ever doubted mr. grassbaugh and his knowledge. pretty sure i said... if you HAVE all this knowledge why not SHARE it, rather than just "throwing the BS flag."

i thought this forum was for learning, that's why i joined... but maybe i had the wrong impression. it seems lately it is all about people taking sides and starting petty, juvenile side convos.

Back
Top Bottom