What breed to get???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mermeg, Jan 16, 2011.

1. mermeg

mermeg New Egg

Jan 16, 2011
    Hello! I am getting some chicks from a local sorce tomorrow. He has Black Cooper Marans, Black Amerucanas, and RIRs. I'm looking for about five hardy chickens that are good layers. I've done some googling and the Black Coopers are very tempting, but the RIR sound pretty practical. Should I get a combo of both? Would they get along fine? Does anyone have these breeds and what do you think? Thanks!

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hello and welcome to byc!!
    depending on your location, a hardy bird is the way to go! in my opinion. get both if you so desire!

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Get both if you want them. They should get along fine if you raise them together. And [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  4. allcrackedup

allcrackedup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    capitola
    i have all 3, my favorite for egg color is the bcms. my favorite chicken for personality is my ameraucana's, the rir are the egg layers but really no personality they just eat and lay, im actually going to replace them with australorps for my egg laying hens they are lots of fun really sweet not shy at all .....

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Get the Black Copper Marans and Ameraucanas. Then you'll have eggs that look like my avatar! [​IMG]

BC Marans are a quiet, large, calm breed that are very cold hardy and lay gorgeous dark eggs.

Ameraucanas (real ones) are a very sweet, friendly, cold hardy breed that lay spectacular blue eggs, and I've never met a mean Ameraucana rooster!

Also, the Ameraucanas and Marans not only lay pretty well, but will last longer[/i] than the Production Reds and they surely are more unique!

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Ditto. Illia said it perfectly.

I have all those breeds and a few more, and the three mentioned above would be good if you like friendly birds that are good layers. RIRs can be less personable (although my Rhoda is friendly).

7. mermeg

mermeg New Egg

Jan 16, 2011
    Thanks for the info! I am so excited about getting chickens! I'll post come pics once I get them tomorrow! I think I will get a few amerucanas AND BCM. I do like chickens with personality ;-)

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I probably wouldn't stop at 5, except maybe 5 of each. You can't go wrong with either breed. The RIR will probably lay sooner but otherwise not much difference except for shell color. Would make for a real pretty egg basket.

9. atvrider

atvrider Out Of The Brooder

I love my rir's they lay a awesome brown egg that has a big rich yellow yolk, i highly recommend this breed.

10. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Quote:LOVE your avatar. Was wondering about the dark ones. McMurray has cuckoo marans ... they'll give the chocolate eggs too, right? I'd love a source nearby (in Colorado, 1 hr SE of Denver) for chicks or pullets if any breeders are listening! Er, reading.

I'm chick-addicted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by