1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed to order? First time

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by dakunst, Feb 12, 2013.

1. dakunst

dakunst Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2012
    Ok, so we have decided to start raising meat birds this spring. We've been doing the eggs, no problem. It seems that many go with the cornish. After, reading about them, I think they seem so unnatural. . .the whole way they were bred to grow so fast. . not into it. I don't mind if the birds take longer to reach maturity. We live in the NJ and would want a hearty breed that could get outside when it still might be a little chilly. Any suggestions on what breed to go with?

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Sussex?? you will get eggs and they are supposed to be good table birds.

3. red rangers

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    There are a lot of possibilities out there for you. Try to narrow down more than just a meat bird.

Do you want something that:

can forage to reduce feed costs?

will reproduce on it's own, so broody, good mother?

grow slowly or quickly (for a dual purpose bird)?

is calmer?

There are so many variables and so many breeds. The breeds tab at the top of the page lets you search for breeds by characteristics. Orpingtons, Delewares, New Hampshires, Rocks, Wyandottes are all possibilities but the list is (almost) endless.

5. you should get straight run dual-purpouse birds. That way, you can eat the roosters and the hens will lay eggs

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I agree with the Red Ranger type broilers. McMurray has red broilers, Meyer has rainbow broilers and Ideal has the best deal at about $2 per chick straight run. Ideal offers a black and red broiler. All these grow slower than a cornish cross but faster than your dual purpose and will free range though that slows growth rate also. Basically more active than the Cornish X and not quite the speed of growth so have far less leg and other health issues.

7. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I think the cheapest way to get good layers is to start out by going to tractor supply, they carry good dual purpose birds like Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, austrolorps, New Hampshire reds, ect. and they are very cheap, here they are 1.99 each with no minimum and no shipping fee. And I've never lost a bird to pasty butt or any other sickness for that matter. Plus here in SC Chick Days are here!! Check Tractor supply online and they'll tell you when your state stores will get chicks.

8. bilder

bilder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, Oregon
    If you already have hens for eggs, you could go with one of the 'frying pan specials' many of the hatcheries offer. They are usually heritage breed roos, so you will have the slower growth rate and they are usually very cheap. Like under a buck a chick cheap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by