What Breed Was Your "Free" Murray McMurray Bird?

Ordered 29 birds, pullets. They gave me an extra white leghorn hen and my "free rare chick" was a buff laced polish rooster who was rehomed yesterday for being a complete and total spazbucket.

I knew there was a reason I didn't order polish.

At 15 weeks old the rest all appear female.

There were 3 of us splitting my most recent MMH order and they sent each of us an extra free chick. They even marked them for us, to make it easy to identify. There was a Buttercup, a grey chick that was probably a Silver-Spangled Hamburg, and a Golden-Laced Polish. I assume they will be roos, but can't tell for certain yet. My chicks will be shown & sold at our county Fair in Jan, this free extra guy will make a nice addition to the show.

I ordered very early this year... an order of 34... became an order of 46 (I think). I would loved to have known what all the extras were .. but as it was... we lost most of them :( They sent a replacement order ... and I was told that they were sending a bunch of red star males as packing peanuts (that i took down to the feed store due to lack of space) however.. my replacement birds... ARE NEARLY ALL MALES.... what the heck!?

I called them back yesterday and said my original order was for pullets... but nearly all of the replacements are male. The lady was apologetic and after looking at my order.. she thinks someone must have thought that we ordered the cockerel mixed bargain thing. She credited us back the cost of them and apologized. She asked if I wanted to try again and I was like... NOPE! I have my hands full trying to find homes for all these boys.

So if anyone wants any fancy boys... in Dallas TX... look me up. Free. *sigh*

Black sex link hen! :D We named her Dude because I was convinced she would be a dude XD

Ours are almost 8 weeks and I still can't figure out what the heck our "free" chick was. He/she has some sort of mottled barred pattern but is much smaller than our Barred Rock females. I do think it is likely a pullet based on feathering, but no clue what variety.

Here's a video that MMH posted on YouTube showing the packing process at their hatchery.
You can see that there is some scope for human error as they try to work quickly to fill the orders so the chicks can be shipped asap. I've always had good results ordering from them, they have responsive customer service and have the best selection of breeds that I want. I always ask for the free exotic chick, it's usually a rooster, sometimes more exotic than usual. Last summer I got a Silver Leghorn roo, he was handsome and gentle and was sold to a good home.

I wonder what I'll get this year?

I wouldn't mind extra males so long as they aren't demon spawn ... which i think two of my last batch are! 12 weeks old and already puffing their necks out at me and crowing... first time they attack... even if they are too small to make it worth it... they are toast. *sigh*

But on a good note... the phoenix and the bantam cochin's I got from there are WONDERFUL. those breeds are both calm and laid back boys. My ~20 week old phoenix boys aren't crowing and getting along fine... a few even seem to like coming to sit by me... (as long as I don't pick they up) they are happy to just sit there. ;)

Back
Top Bottom