what breed will I get???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 77horses, Nov 16, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    If we mixed our RIR rooster with our Red Star hen, would we get another red star or would we just get a mutt??? [​IMG]

thanks! (and yes I understand all about the sex links and everything) [​IMG] but I'm just curious to know what we would get if we mixed these two.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My guess is mutt

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You'd get a 3/4 RIR w/ whatever the other 1/4 is... White Rock/Delaware/Leghorn etc..

It will lay nice big brown eggs if its a pullet.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Mutt you wouldnt get a pure DE/RIW because you would not have a male half of that breed, but should get some PURE RIR

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm confused--how could she get pure RIR? The genes mix during meiosis, so you'd never get genes in an egg that just came from one grandparent or the other.

In horses, a 1/2 Arabian + a 1/2 Quarter Horse (for example) bred back to an Arabian will never give you a purebred Arabian. The foal will carry some Quarter Horse genes, and there will be no way to breed that foal back so that its offspring would be considered a purebred.

But I don't get chicken genetics. Can you enlighten me?

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:One thing to bear in mind is that chicken breeds are not as genetic-lineage-based as in, well, any other domestic animal. To a lot of peoples' way of thinking, if it looks like a RIR it is a RIR.

I realize this is sort of the opposite of other animals -- where, like, if your heinz 57 barn cats produce a kitten that happens to look like the picture in your Cat Breeds of the World book for "russian blue", the kitten is still profoundly NOT a russian blue (unless, ahem, you are a rescue grroup trying to find it a home [​IMG]).

Mind you that doesn't make it a great idea to put an 'accidental, just-looks-like, mixed-parentage' RIR type into a breeding program RIRs that have been bred from closed lines for decades [​IMG]

But still, in some way that bird would still "be" a RIR.

I think the original poster probably meant 'color' not 'breed' anyhow [​IMG]

Pat

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Having grown up breeding horses, cows and dogs, this whole "if it looks like a Wyandotte, and lays eggs like a Wyandotte, it's a Wyandotte" chicken breeding thing totally weirds me out!

Thanks for the explanation.

Erika

8. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    If you breed a RIR to a sex link and it does make a 3/4 RIR-1/4 whatever can you breed the whatever to the offspring to create another sex link that would be 1/2 & 1/2?

9. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Not a breed, a mutt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by