What breed would be good for us?

birdgirl9

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 31, 2013
So we are going to get chickens, probably in the spring... I bought a book about having a successful flock and it featured many different types of breeds. Out of all it mentioned, (and after some research) I think that Anconas, Marans, Hamburgs, Buttercups, or Ausralorps would work the best for us. We will only use them for eggs, and they will have both a coop with a run and free range. Just wondering what kinds of experiences anyone has had with these birds, and where would be the best to get them? Online hatcheries? If so, when should I order them in the spring? So many questions, but I am really excited about this, I think it will be a great experience. Any other tips on starting off would be much appreciated...Thanks in advance for all of the help...
smile.png

Sometimes its best to just pick your chicks from the feed store in Feb-March so you don't have to deal with any sickly chicks. You'll want to consider where you live, if the summers are very hot, avoid heavily feathered breeds like the Brahma or Cochin. If you have harsh winters avoid thin-feathered and large-combed breeds like Andalusians and Leghorns. It sounds like you've picked a good variety!

So if you want "pets" (which means holding and cuddling) you might want to stay away from the Hamburgs. (SUUUPPER flighty) the marans are fairly friendly and they lay beautiful eggs. Anconas are also fairly friendly but in my experience aren't the best layers. A good breed might be barred rocks or leghorns (especially for the eggs!) Amercaunas also lay very pretty eggs and the breed comes in super nice colours! Whittni is also right about the weather in your area! Good luck!

So we are going to get chickens, probably in the spring... I bought a book about having a successful flock and it featured many different types of breeds. Out of all it mentioned, (and after some research) I think that Anconas, Marans, Hamburgs, Buttercups, or Ausralorps would work the best for us. We will only use them for eggs, and they will have both a coop with a run and free range. Just wondering what kinds of experiences anyone has had with these birds, and where would be the best to get them? Online hatcheries? If so, when should I order them in the spring? So many questions, but I am really excited about this, I think it will be a great experience. Any other tips on starting off would be much appreciated...Thanks in advance for all of the help...
smile.png

First, I would choose a hatchery or breeder that is not far from you. For instance, I'm in California, so I don't want to order from Iowa. The longer the distance, the more stress is placed upon the chicks. I've had good experiences with Privett Hatchery in New Mexico. Out of all the breeds you mentioned, the Australorp is the better layer. They are generally docile too. It is best to begin with breeds that are easily handled and don't fly to the highest tree limb. I've had Marans in addition to Australorps. They are lovely birds, but aren't known for egg production. The others you mentioned are a bit skittish/flighty for a new poultry keeper, and the only one I've never kept were Anconas, so I can't tell you about them. Plymouth Rocks, Black Sex Links are good egg layers to start with. Wyandottes are a wonderful breed also but lay less.

I prefer delivery or pick up in March or April since bad weather is less likely to stress chicks in transit. Also, it is often recommended that the most vigorous chicks are those reared in early Spring.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for the replies! With all of that in mind, I can probably narrow down which breeds actually would work best. I do want good layers, but it would also be nice if they were semi-friendly and didn't fly into the highest limb of a tree (haha)... If I did order them online I was looking at: http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Day-Old-Baby-Chicks-c36.aspx because they are located in CT (so am I). Thanks again for the help!

dixiechik44, Ameracuanas seem like a very good breed for me, but where would I get them?

Back
Top Bottom