Traits I would expect to find in those breeds:
Appenzeller Spithauben rooster: black spanglng on silver, crest, v-comb
Silver Laced Cochin hen: black lacing on Silver, feathered feet, single comb

Traits I would expect in the chicks:
Silver with black markings
Markings probably not quite lacing or spangling, but a bit like both
crest
feathered feet
duplex comb (probably looks a bit like a Buttercup's comb, but in this case caused by the cross of v-comb and single comb)

Chicks will probably grow to a mature size in between the parents' sizes.
Daughters may lay white eggs or light brown eggs, depending on exactly which egg-color genes their father has (and since he doesn't lay eggs, you won't know until they start.)
Little update. Chicks are now about 7-8 weeks old (I forgot which week they're on 😅). I noticed yesterday that some chicks (only the barred ones) are getting this comb type. Now, if this happens because of a V comb X Single comb, how come not all the chicks (or most) are getting it?

And sorry for all the questions, but I saw some chicks (couldn't get a pic of these. I'll try again later today) have feathers that kinda look like they're getting a bit of lacing. It's a white feather with a black outline, but some of these black outlines are in a "zig zag" shape. As in, it starts out straight, then makes a "V" shape at the middle, and continues like normal lacing. But these chicks have no feathered feet. So is it possible to get a partially laced chick if the mom wasn't a silver laced Cochin?

(Sorry if that causes confusion :oops: )

--Thanks

image.jpeg image.jpeg
^^ The weird comb.

Little update. Chicks are now about 7-8 weeks old (I forgot which week they're on 😅). I noticed yesterday that some chicks (only the barred ones) are getting this comb type. Now, if this happens because of a V comb X Single comb, how come not all the chicks (or most) are getting it?
What were the parents of the chick in the photos?
I thought you were crossing a Spitzhauben rooster with a Laced Cochin hen, but you should not get any barred chicks from that pairing.

If the barred chicks have different parents than the other chicks, that might explain the different comb type. Even chickens with the "same" comb type can have small differences, and maybe the genes that cause those differences are causing other differences in the crossed chicks.

And sorry for all the questions, but I saw some chicks (couldn't get a pic of these. I'll try again later today) have feathers that kinda look like they're getting a bit of lacing. It's a white feather with a black outline, but some of these black outlines are in a "zig zag" shape. As in, it starts out straight, then makes a "V" shape at the middle, and continues like normal lacing. But these chicks have no feathered feet. So is it possible to get a partially laced chick if the mom wasn't a silver laced Cochin?
Yes, it might be possible to get a partially-laced chick by crossing a spangled father (Spitzhauben) to a non-laced hen. Lacing is caused by a certain combination of genes, and spangling is caused by a very similar combination of genes. So yes, the chicks might end up with a set of genes that cause partial lacing, even if neither parent actually has lacing.

What are the possible mothers for those chicks?

What were the parents of the chick in the photos?
I thought you were crossing a Spitzhauben rooster with a Laced Cochin hen, but you should not get any barred chicks from that pairing.

If the barred chicks have different parents than the other chicks, that might explain the different comb type. Even chickens with the "same" comb type can have small differences, and maybe the genes that cause those differences are causing other differences in the crossed chicks.
I knew I forgot something. Yes, I hatched different breeds. The parents of that chick are Spitz X OE/EE.
Yes, it might be possible to get a partially-laced chick by crossing a spangled father (Spitzhauben) to a non-laced hen. Lacing is caused by a certain combination of genes, and spangling is caused by a very similar combination of genes. So yes, the chicks might end up with a set of genes that cause partial lacing, even if neither parent actually has lacing.

What are the possible mothers for those chicks?
Ooh ok, thank you for explaining. Makes sense. For those partially laced looking chicks, the mothers can be EE/OE/WJG. I think one of them is a WJG, judging by the green leg color.

I knew I forgot something. Yes, I hatched different breeds. The parents of that chick are Spitz X OE/EE.
If the Olive Egger/Easter Egger has a pea comb, then that chick would have genes for V-comb and pea comb, rather than V-comb and single comb. That could certainly cause a change in comb shape.

If the OE/EE has a single comb, I'll just guess "unknown modifier genes" as the explanation.

For those partially laced looking chicks, the mothers can be EE/OE/WJG. I think one of them is a WJG, judging by the green leg color.
Yes, it might be possible from any of those, depending on what color genes the EE/OE have. If the WJG is a White Jersey Giant, I would expect it to produce black chicks, not patterned ones, when crossed to the Spitzhauben rooster.

A blue-legged chicken (Spitzhauben) can sometimes produce green-legged chicks. That is more likely if the other parent has yellow or green legs.

If the Olive Egger/Easter Egger has a pea comb, then that chick would have genes for V-comb and pea comb, rather than V-comb and single comb. That could certainly cause a change in comb shape.

If the OE/EE has a single comb, I'll just guess "unknown modifier genes" as the explanation.
Oh ok, thanks. All of my hens have single combs.
Yes, it might be possible from any of those, depending on what color genes the EE/OE have. If the WJG is a White Jersey Giant, I would expect it to produce black chicks, not patterned ones, when crossed to the Spitzhauben rooster.

A blue-legged chicken (Spitzhauben) can sometimes produce green-legged chicks. That is more likely if the other parent has yellow or green legs.
Interesting. I do believe I hatched a WJG that is mostly white thoug has. Just one, but has a few big "sploshes" of black here and there. All the other WJG's, as you said, are all black. In fact, all of my chicks are black, except 2.

(Sorry for the bad pic)

Just for curiosity, but I think the mom of this chick was a WJG. Which got me thinking, how come it's the only one that looks like this? I know it's genetics, but thought I'd as anyways :p. I have another chick with some of the same coloring, but again, only one that looks like this:

P.S.: This pic is about 2-3 weeks old; the chick is bigger now, with a much bigger crest. She/He has the biggest crest out of all :lol:

(You can see the white chick with black "sploshes" as well :p) image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom