What breed would I get?

Just for curiosity, but I think the mom of this chick was a WJG. Which got me thinking, how come it's the only one that looks like this? I know it's genetics, but thought I'd as anyways :p. I have another chick with some of the same coloring, but again, only one that looks like this:

P.S.: This pic is about 2-3 weeks old; the chick is bigger now, with a much bigger crest. She/He has the biggest crest out of all :lol:

(You can see the white chick with black "sploshes" as well :p)
Do you know how many eggs of what colors hatched? That can sometimes help with sorting the chicks.

Any pairing of not-barred rooster (Spitzhauben) with barred hen will produce sexlink chicks (barred sons, not-barred daughters.) So if the Spitzhauben is the only rooster, then ALL barred chicks are males. There are probably an equal number of not-barred chicks that are female.

White Jersey Giants are "supposed" to be genetically black, then turned white by the recessive white gene. That would produce only black chicks when crossed with a Spitzhauben. They should not be able to produce a patterned chick like the one in your photo.

Do you have pictures of your Olive Eggers/ Easter Eggers? That may help sort some of this out. I can make a reasonable guess about the genes of the Silver Spangled Spitzhauben, and Silver Laced Cochin (black lacing on white), and White Jersey Giants (unless they are some other white chicken pretending ot be WJG), but "Eggers" can have a wide variety of colors and genes.

The white chick with black blotches is probably a genetically black chicken with one copy of the Dominant White gene (turns black into white, but can miss bits.) So the mother may be one of your "White Jersey Giants," except they may actually be another breed or else have genes their breed is not "supposed" to have.

Do you know how many eggs of what colors hatched? That can sometimes help with sorting the chicks.

Any pairing of not-barred rooster (Spitzhauben) with barred hen will produce sexlink chicks (barred sons, not-barred daughters.) So if the Spitzhauben is the only rooster, then ALL barred chicks are males. There are probably an equal number of not-barred chicks that are female.

White Jersey Giants are "supposed" to be genetically black, then turned white by the recessive white gene. That would produce only black chicks when crossed with a Spitzhauben. They should not be able to produce a patterned chick like the one in your photo.
I knew about the barring part, which means I have lots of males.

I had all 5 OE eggs hatch, I had 4/5 EE eggs hatch, and the other 2 creme eggs hatch. I have 17 in all, because I also hatched 5 sablepoots, but that's not important. Now that I think about it (sorry for not realizing before), it is not a WJG, as you said. It hatched from a blue egg, if I remember correctly.
Do you have pictures of your Olive Eggers/ Easter Eggers? That may help sort some of this out. I can make a reasonable guess about the genes of the Silver Spangled Spitzhauben, and Silver Laced Cochin (black lacing on white), and White Jersey Giants (unless they are some other white chicken pretending ot be WJG), but "Eggers" can have a wide variety of colors and genes.
I do. Just have to find them, so gimme a little while 😅.

For the WJG's..... I am not so sure they are pure. @nicalandia said that they seemed to be a mix. One of the WJG's has blue legs now, with no yellow under her feet. So perhaps not a WJG.
The white chick with black blotches is probably a genetically black chicken with one copy of the Dominant White gene (turns black into white, but can miss bits.) So the mother may be one of your "White Jersey Giants," except they may actually be another breed or else have genes their breed is not "supposed" to have.
Ooh ok. Interesting.

Got the pics:
image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The EE's.^ image.jpeg image.jpeg
An "EE" who is most likely a legbar mix ^^
image.jpeg
OE. (Both OE's look like this)^ image.jpeg image.png image.jpeg
^^ The "WJG's"

I had all 5 OE eggs hatch, I had 4/5 EE eggs hatch, and the other 2 creme eggs hatch. I have 17 in all, because I also hatched 5 sablepoots, but that's not important. Now that I think about it (sorry for not realizing before), it is not a WJG, as you said. It hatched from a blue egg, if I remember correctly.

I do. Just have to find them, so gimme a little while 😅.
You could have black chicks from the blue EE, and female black chicks from any of the barred EEs and the barred OEs.

One of the EE photos has a white chicken, with green feet, who I think has splotches of black on her. That could easily be the mother of the white chick with black splotches.

I think the patterned chick probably came from one of the EEs or OEs.
It might have come from a red-and-white EE.
Or any of the barred ones, or the blue one, has a chance of carrying the right recessive genes to produce a chick like that. (A barred mother is only possible if the patterned chick is female, because a male chick from a barred mother would have to be barred.)

Black chickens, even if they have white barring or are turned blue, can hide quite a few other genes.

For the WJG's..... I am not so sure they are pure. @nicalandia said that they seemed to be a mix. One of the WJG's has blue legs now, with no yellow under her feet. So perhaps not a WJG.
That could be the case if she was always like that. But if she used to have yellow on her feet and it is gone now, the foot color might just mean she is a good layer. For chickens that naturally have yellow skin, it becomes more yellow when they are not laying eggs, and lighter when they are laying. The yellow goes into the yolks when the hen is laying, or into her skin & beak when she is not laying. Sometimes this can be used to sort good layers from poor layers (especially handy in large flocks, where tracking each egg is not feasible.)

You could have black chicks from the blue EE, and female black chicks from any of the barred EEs and the barred OEs.

One of the EE photos has a white chicken, with green feet, who I think has splotches of black on her. That could easily be the mother of the white chick with black splotches.
Whoops. Sorry for the confusion, but that white hen is a WJG.
I think the patterned chick probably came from one of the EEs or OEs.
It might have come from a red-and-white EE.
Or any of the barred ones, or the blue one, has a chance of carrying the right recessive genes to produce a chick like that. (A barred mother is only possible if the patterned chick is female, because a male chick from a barred mother would have to be barred.)

Black chickens, even if they have white barring or are turned blue, can hide quite a few other genes.
That's interesting. Thanks!
That could be the case if she was always like that. But if she used to have yellow on her feet and it is gone now, the foot color might just mean she is a good layer. For chickens that naturally have yellow skin, it becomes more yellow when they are not laying eggs, and lighter when they are laying. The yellow goes into the yolks when the hen is laying, or into her skin & beak when she is not laying. Sometimes this can be used to sort good layers from poor layers (especially handy in large flocks, where tracking each egg is not feasible.)
Never heard of this, but very interesting! Might be a silly question, but how big will the crests get? All the EE's (including the one that is probably a legbar), except the red & white one; have little crests.

Whoops. Sorry for the confusion, but that white hen is a WJG.
I did wonder :)
Yes, she might be the mother of the one chick, no matter what breed she is.

The white chick might also have come from a red-and-white EE mother. The Spitzhauben father has black on Silver. The red-and-white EEs have Dominant White (instead of black) on gold. So the chick would show white (Dominant White) from the mother, and silver (not gold) from the father. That would cause white-on-white patterning (not visible), and a few bits of black showing through in places (because Dominant White allows some black to leak through when the chick only has one copy of the gene.)

Might be a silly question, but how big will the crests get? All the EE's (including the one that is probably a legbar), except the red & white one; have little crests.
I am guessing the crests will be in between the sizes of the parents' crests.

I did wonder :)
Yes, she might be the mother of the one chick, no matter what breed she is.

The white chick might also have come from a red-and-white EE mother. The Spitzhauben father has black on Silver. The red-and-white EEs have Dominant White (instead of black) on gold. So the chick would show white (Dominant White) from the mother, and silver (not gold) from the father. That would cause white-on-white patterning (not visible), and a few bits of black showing through in places (because Dominant White allows some black to leak through when the chick only has one copy of the gene.)

I am guessing the crests will be in between the sizes of the parents' crests.
Hmm.... Interesting.

I feel terribly sorry for not remembering before about this. I got sick a few weeks ago, and now it feels like I forget everything :(

But I know one of the white chick's mom, and that is this hen:

Not sure if the other white one came from her. image.jpeg

But I know one of the white chick's mom, and that is this hen:

Not sure if the other white one came from her. View attachment 3111666
Yes, that's what I was trying to describe :)
The father contributed silver (vs. red on the mother).
The mother contributed Dominant White (vs. black on the father.)
The result is a white-on-white chick.

(People who cross a Silver Laced Polish with a Buff Laced Polish get similar results.)

Yes, that's what I was trying to describe :)
The father contributed silver (vs. red on the mother).
The mother contributed Dominant White (vs. black on the father.)
The result is a white-on-white chick.

(People who cross a Silver Laced Polish with a Buff Laced Polish get similar results.)
Ooh. Thank you!

Is it possible to have a Spitz X Cochin chick with a recessive feathered-foot gene?

Is it possible to have a Spitz X Cochin chick with a recessive feathered-foot gene?
So you might get a clean-legged chick from that cross? It might be possible, but I think pretty unlikely.

I have read of at least 3 genes for feathered feet, with two being dominant and one being recessive.

But every time I see photos of Cochin-cross chicks, they have feathered feet. So I think dominant genes for foot feathering are the normal thing in Cochins.

Back
Top Bottom