What breed?

Hello, Not sure if this is the correct spot to post this, but this is more of a question on what would I get.

I have an Ameraucana\EE Rooster & few Wheaten Maran hens. If I cross the Amer\EE roo with the marans, would they be olive eggers or just be more EE's?

Thanks!
Just to be clear, is he an Easter Egger, an Ameraucana, or a cross? If he's an Easter Egger, there is a chance that some offspring will be Olive Eggers, but there is also a chance that some will be plain brown layers. If he's an Ameraucana or an Ameraucana/Easter Egger cross, then his offspring all will very likely be Olive Eggers.

roo looks like a EE mix and hen looks like a Silkie mix....

I was thinking the same thing on the Roo , but had not even thought about silkie mix on the hen . The closest breed i could find to the hens look was a picture I saw of a Appenzeller, but after looking at some pictures of some silkie crosses you may be correct , but I am still wondering where she might have gotten the long spurs on her legs . I was abel to inqubate one of her eggs and got a nice looking RIR cross Roo , Ill post a pic as soon as I can.

Thanks for all the responses ; Jonathan
smile.png

Just to be clear, is he an Easter Egger, an Ameraucana, or a cross? If he's an Easter Egger, there is a chance that some offspring will be Olive Eggers, but there is also a chance that some will be plain brown layers. If he's an Ameraucana or an Ameraucana/Easter Egger cross, then his offspring all will very likely be Olive Eggers.
He would probably be considered an EE more so than the standard\pure Ameraucana. He has the tuff & beard the pea comb, which is linked to blue egg gene correct?

He would probably be considered an EE more so than the standard\pure Ameraucana. He has the tuff & beard the pea comb, which is linked to blue egg gene correct?
The pea comb is linked to the blue egg gene, not muffs and beards. Tufts are very different from muffs and caused by a fatal gene.
Since Easter Eggers have not been bred to meet any sort of standard, there is no guarantee of being pure for the blue eggshell gene, and it's also possible for them to have multiple different genes for brown coating. You never know what you will get.

The pea comb is linked to the blue egg gene, not muffs and beards. Tufts are very different from muffs and caused by a fatal gene.
Since Easter Eggers have not been bred to meet any sort of standard, there is no guarantee of being pure for the blue eggshell gene, and it's also possible for them to have multiple different genes for brown coating. You never know what you will get.
Thanks Junebuggena, another question. I do have 2 Purebred Ameraucanas a hen & a pullet. If I do bred them with the EE rooster, would it be possible to get maybe a Roo out of them that would be closer to the SOP? Also if they were hens those should be blue layers correct?

Last edited:
Thanks Junebuggena, another question. I do have 2 Purebred Ameraucanas a hen & a pullet. If I do bred them with the EE rooster, would it be possible to get maybe a Roo out of them that would be closer to the SOP? Also if they were hens those should be blue layers correct?
Are you sure they are pure Ameraucana and not Easter Eggers as well? Whether or not you can get something close to standard, depends on what the parents look like. To meet the breed standard, a bird must have muffs and beard, pea comb, white skin with a slate wash on the legs, and be one of the recognized varieties.

Are you sure they are pure Ameraucana and not Easter Eggers as well? Whether or not you can get something close to standard, depends on what the parents look like. To meet the breed standard, a bird must have muffs and beard, pea comb, white skin with a slate wash on the legs, and be one of the recognized varieties.
The 2 hens I have are defintely purebred, I got them from a local breeder that only breeds Ameraucanas and not EE. They both have the pea combs, dark slate legs, Muffs & Beards. Here is a picture of our Blue pullet, our other is a black hen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom