What breed?

Waylonsmommy11

Chirping
Apr 1, 2020
Hi, I recently got some ducks and chickens. And Idk if the guy who was telling us ab them at the feed store was sure what he was talking ab. He literally told us to give our ducks Cheerios for niacin. And when our duck started acting funny because a niacin deficiency. The vet said they absolutely do not need it. And that they don’t even have niacin. So I’m wonder what breed my black duck with the floof on it’s head is. And if it’s a male or female. It is extremely quiet and pretty small compared to our Pekin. She’s VERY loud and huge. and also. We were told these were bantam silkies. And they don’t look like it to me. They are all feather. Pretty much no fluff. So if anyone could tell me what breed they are That’d be awesome. I’m starting to think maybe the white one is a roo? It’s tail is very long and curls up. And none of the others do.

Attachments

• DD150841-5462-48CD-9A0D-73122CDD405B.jpeg
    DD150841-5462-48CD-9A0D-73122CDD405B.jpeg
    1,024 KB · Views: 13
  • EBFF1EA1-F45D-4989-B2C3-2E461B9F9859.jpeg
    EBFF1EA1-F45D-4989-B2C3-2E461B9F9859.jpeg
    692.4 KB · Views: 12
The second picture the barred rock is in the way. But the white one is the suspected roo. And the one behind it I just am curious of its breed

And when our duck started acting funny because a niacin deficiency. The vet said they absolutely do not need it.
What vet?! :eek:

What are you feeding in the first place? What is their current age? Did the vet ask these things before saying it wasn't needed?

My preferred duck feed (at my location in the US) is Purina, Flock Raiser. Not required to be listed in the guaranteed analysis, I called the company and they confirmed 55mg/kg niacin in this product which IS labeled for use in duckling and chickens... My main bird is chickens, I breed them. But I have also raised ducks very well on this feed.

Ducklings DO need to have 55mg/kg of niacin in their feed. If the feed has a sufficient amount of niacin then they *should* not need extra added... except for giant Peking can use 70m/kg of niacin in feed (wouldn't surprise me if some standard Pekin did also need more than other slower growing standard duck breeds, which duck had the issues, did it resolve yet?). Check out this RELIABLE resource (I linked nutrition requirement but there is MUCH more under the info tab)...
https://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=25143148
Maybe a crested black Swedish.. do you know which hatchery the feed store uses?

In most duck (not Muscovy, which yours aren't), the quack strength can be a HUGE indicator of gender... hens being loud quackers and drakes having more of a raspy whisper (like Donald duck come to think of it).

I don't see ANY Silkies in your photo, I presume whoever told you that, was not extremely experienced with Silkies and gave you their best assessment based on the feathered legs/feet. Mix ups are not uncommon.. But in the US all Silkies are considered bantam even if not nicely bred. In the UK they have 2 standards for Silkies to include large fowl and bantam. That feather legged bird may be a Cochin or Brahma. Silkies should have five toes and dark skin. I would need to see a better pic that includes comb type. :pop

At this age it's all in the comb/wattle color and development and not the tail feathers (yet)... I'm not seeing anything screaming cockerel yet. Most feed store bantams will NOT be sexed. Better pic of white bird also needed if breed ID is requested. Tail differences are seen across the board depending on breed and genetics more so than gender. The gender differences may start about 10 weeks at earliest usually around 12 and often not later than 14 weeks when saddle feathers will show major differences on most breeds (some rooster breeds are hen feathered, and Silkies are a tad more challenging).

Red wattles and combs will develop on many breeds starting around week 4-6, with some holding off until 8 weeks+ (not much more)... in the BOYS. girls should not have faces, wattles, or combs turn red (not oink or flushing red) before 14-16 + weeks... give or take depending on season and genetics... maybe even artificial lighting or other factors.

Oh ya... Welcome to BYC, hope you love it here! :frow

Adding your general location to your profile can help folks make their best suggestions possible at a glance. ;)

What are you feeding in the first place? What is their current age? Did the vet ask these things before saying it wasn't needed?

My preferred duck feed (at my location in the US) is Purina, Flock Raiser. Not required to be listed in the guaranteed analysis, I called the company and they confirmed 55mg/kg niacin in this product which IS labeled for use in duckling and chickens... My main bird is chickens, I breed them. But I have also raised ducks very well on this feed.

Ducklings DO need to have 55mg/kg of niacin in their feed. If the feed has a sufficient amount of niacin then they *should* not need extra added... except for giant Peking can use 70m/kg of niacin in feed (wouldn't surprise me if some standard Pekin did also need more than other slower growing standard duck breeds, which duck had the issues, did it resolve yet?). Check out this RELIABLE resource (I linked nutrition requirement but there is MUCH more under the info tab)...
https://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=25143148

In most duck (not Muscovy, which yours aren't), the quack strength can be a HUGE indicator of gender... hens being loud quackers and drakes having more of a raspy whisper (like Donald duck come to think of it).

I don't see ANY Silkies in your photo, I presume whoever told you that, was not extremely experienced with Silkies and gave you their best assessment based on the feathered legs/feet. Mix ups are not uncommon.. But in the US all Silkies are considered bantam even if not nicely bred. In the UK they have 2 standards for Silkies to include large fowl and bantam. That feather legged bird may be a Cochin or Brahma. Silkies should have five toes and dark skin. I would need to see a better pic that includes comb type. :pop

At this age it's all in the comb/wattle color and development and not the tail feathers (yet)... I'm not seeing anything screaming cockerel yet. Most feed store bantams will NOT be sexed. Better pic of white bird also needed if breed ID is requested. Tail differences are seen across the board depending on breed and genetics more so than gender. The gender differences may start about 10 weeks at earliest usually around 12 and often not later than 14 weeks when saddle feathers will show major differences on most breeds (some rooster breeds are hen feathered, and Silkies are a tad more challenging).

Red wattles and combs will develop on many breeds starting around week 4-6, with some holding off until 8 weeks+ (not much more)... in the BOYS. girls should not have faces, wattles, or combs turn red (not oink or flushing red) before 14-16 + weeks... give or take depending on season and genetics... maybe even artificial lighting or other factors.

Adding your general location to your profile can help folks make their best suggestions possible at a glance. ;)
The black ducking is the one who had issues. We have some electrolytes and niacin and it hasn’t had problems since. Every once in a while we’ll add the electrolytes and niacin to the water to prevent it again we’re using a duck and chick starter. I will get those pics Of the chicken for you. The white one is pretty skiddish. So I’m gonna go try once I get my son down for a nap.

The white one also has blueish skin. And purpley blue feathers. Really pretty. Just hoping not a roo. Since there’s a 7 month old and a 4 month old at my house. I don’t want An asshole😂

Here is a better picture of the suspected roo

Attachments

• 03E77E52-4808-458B-9F98-3DDBF67BBA70.jpeg
    03E77E52-4808-458B-9F98-3DDBF67BBA70.jpeg
    542.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 259CF2AC-7EF1-4C37-8F87-FE56A8CCDC7C.jpeg
    259CF2AC-7EF1-4C37-8F87-FE56A8CCDC7C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Hi, I recently got some ducks and chickens. And Idk if the guy who was telling us ab them at the feed store was sure what he was talking ab. He literally told us to give our ducks Cheerios for niacin. And when our duck started acting funny because a niacin deficiency. The vet said they absolutely do not need it. And that they don’t even have niacin. So I’m wonder what breed my black duck with the floof on it’s head is. And if it’s a male or female. It is extremely quiet and pretty small compared to our Pekin. She’s VERY loud and huge. and also. We were told these were bantam silkies. And they don’t look like it to me. They are all feather. Pretty much no fluff. So if anyone could tell me what breed they are That’d be awesome. I’m starting to think maybe the white one is a roo? It’s tail is very long and curls up. And none of the others do.
Black/grey and white one is a Barred Rock

Back
Top Bottom