What breed?

These are pointed feathers.
IMG_3322.jpeg

I don't think both have pointed feathers. I zoomed in and went out to look and the darker one they look more rounded. I think the pattern messes with the eyes.
Some patterns do that. Sometimes you need to put a sheet of paper under a few feathers, or otherwise isolate them to get a good idea of the shape.

I'm not sure either way about your darker chicken, but I certainly have seen pullets and hens with pointy markings inside rounded feathers.

Some cockerels get their narrow pointy feathers at a younger age than others. So male feathers would mean male, but rounded feathers at this age could mean female, or could mean a male who just hasn't grown those feathers yet.

For the one in the front of the photo, I notice some of the feathers in the saddle area almost look like slender lines: black line in the middle, white line on each side. I am fairly sure those are male-specific pointed feathers that are trying to have a pointy marking (the black line) inside a narrow feather (the white lines on either side being the outer part of the feather.)

Some patterns do that. Sometimes you need to put a sheet of paper under a few feathers, or otherwise isolate them to get a good idea of the shape.

I'm not sure either way about your darker chicken, but I certainly have seen pullets and hens with pointy markings inside rounded feathers.

Some cockerels get their narrow pointy feathers at a younger age than others. So male feathers would mean male, but rounded feathers at this age could mean female, or could mean a male who just hasn't grown those feathers yet.

For the one in the front of the photo, I notice some of the feathers in the saddle area almost look like slender lines: black line in the middle, white line on each side. I am fairly sure those are male-specific pointed feathers that are trying to have a pointy marking (the black line) inside a narrow feather (the white lines on either side being the outer part of the feather.)
I already assumed that one male also as it's wattle and comb are bigger than the other and it's behavior. The one in the back is very timid. I'm more curious in the breed or mix because it's odd. Looks more brahma than cochin in my opinion.

I already assumed that one male also as it's wattle and comb are bigger than the other
In this case, that doesn't mean much, because they have different comb types.

The one in back (darker feathers) has a pea comb. That makes the comb small, and usually also makes the wattles small. So even if they are the same gender, the one with a single comb would have a bigger comb and bigger wattles.

The one in front has much more red in the comb & wattles. That could mean the one in back (less red) is female, or it could mean the back one is a male that is developing slower.

I'm more curious in the breed or mix because it's odd. Looks more brahma than cochin in my opinion.
You might have one Brahma (pea comb) and one Cochin (single comb) :confused:

Some chickens show really odd colors & patterns when they are young, before they grow the correct adult feathers. (And some always look odd, depending on how careless the hatchery has been in selecting their breeding stock.)

Here is an old thread with a photo of a Dark Brahma cockerel (first post):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-or-roo-dark-brahma.685508/
At least to me, the coloring looks similar to the coloring of your darker chicken (the one with a pea/small comb).

Back
Top Bottom