What breed?

AKsmama

Songster
9 Years
Jun 20, 2010
South Carolina
Any guesses on breed for this cockerel? He was our "free exotic" from McMurray. I think. Everybody else pretty much looks to be what they should be, so we are assuming he's the one. His name is Casper. His legs are slate and he appears to be spangled, or speckled, or spotted, or whatever it's called, on his wings a bit, but he isn't a Silver Spangled Hamburg- his comb is definitely a single. Silver Lakenvelder maybe? Or some weird EE mix? I'm pretty much at a loss. We like him, whatever he is!

This was a week or two ago, so he would have been 5 or 6 weeks:
61128_100_5799.jpg

Same day, different angle:
61128_100_5932.jpg

Again, same day:
61128_100_5796.jpg

This is just a few days ago:
61128_100_6225.jpg

With Kitty, one of the EE pullets, saying "No more pictures!"
61128_100_6254.jpg

Coming in from the run:
61128_100_6203.jpg

Last edited:
Lakenvelder, but I am sure its a rooster. I recieved one as a mistake in an order of chicks this spring, and his comb was the same size as yours is at this age. Now that he is 4 months the crazy thing crows non stop, is flighty, and mean to the hens. I will be very happy to eat him.

Lakenvelder Roo, I have a lot full of them. You are going to be very pleased at just how beautiful he will become. IMO they are one of the most beautiful breeds. I have to disagree to some extent with the other post in saying they are skiddish. My experience with them (and I have raised them for years) has been that they LOVE to fly out when they can and free range but when they are kept in a run they stay around my feet. The do not enjoy being handled quite as much as some of the other breeds.

They are very curious and have to be the birds who the question of "why did the chicken cross the road" came from. I have 6 acres of pastures and semi wooded land and they are the only breed that I have ever had that will still fly over a freaking 6' fence to check out my neighbors yard when I allow them to free range. Drives me crazy but love the breed.

Another thing that I have learned from experience is that they can be a little more sensitive to sever cold. I'm sure others have had different experiences but these have been mine.

Enjoy your bird...he will shock you with how beautiful he will become in a few months.

Back
Top Bottom