What breed??

wbmom09

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 26, 2012
Hi all,
I'm new to the chicken world and got some chicks at the local Tractor Supply. The sign said they were Red pullets and could either be RIR, New Hampshire, Red Sex Link and one other breed I believe. I've been looking at other posts and breeds here at BYC and I think they may be Red Sex Links..what do you all think?? I think their about 6 weeks old..does that look about right?

This is Stretch. She has really pretty colors on the end of her feathers.

This is Ming Ming and she's the friendliest. She's my buddy!

Ming Ming is light so she may be a New Hampshire, Stretch is kind of hard to tell if he's a Red Sex Link or a Rhode Island Red.

6 weeks looks about right. First one might be a cockerel, but looks pulletish, could be Rhode Island Red...second one is a little lighter, possibly New Hampshire.

this is my new hampshire red at about 31/2 months i believe. She is now laying at 5 months. just started yesterday and made another this morning. yup two in a row, im so proud!!

Oh, and by the way they are know for maturing really quickly and are used for either eggs or meat, but mostly meat. though they are pretty good egg layers.

Last edited:
Hatchery Rhode Island Red and New Hampshire are both really Production Red. Hatcheries didn't breed these true throughout the decades resulting in a white under color that should be grey. They are laying machines, I've got two and like them. Your birds are Production Reds not a sex link.

These pics look just my red sex links that are New Hampshire and RIR. Mine are 7 weeks old. Two weeks ago I bought Grey Leghorns from a local farm supply, now I have read there is no such thing as a grey leghorn.? What is the real deal?

Thanks for all the input everyone! I'm glad to hear their laying machines though! That's what I wanted! They are so friendly too which I really love.

Can anyone tell if this Autralorp is a roo or not? It's just bigger than the other Australorp that I have and I bought them together.
I just thought the tail feathers looked different than the other ones.

Fact is that TSC sells production reds. Some favor the RIR, some the NH. Neither will be true, of course. What they often are is great layers, so you'll likely be very pleased.

A bit early on the 'Lorp, but I don't see cockerel yet, to my eyes. Here's hoping it is a pullet for you as well.

I've heard that about the chicks from TSC. This are my first go with chickens so whatever they turn out to be is fine with me as long as I get some good eggs from them. I'm hoping the lorps are hens as well but 1 rooster wouldn't be bad I guess. Should I have a rooster with my hens? I have 4 chickens now and if one turns out to be a roo that's fine but do I "need" one?

Back
Top Bottom