What breeds are my 3 chicks?

babbychickens

Chirping
Dec 4, 2018
Redland Bay, QLD, Australia
I can tell that each 3 are different breeds, but I'm not sure which ones. I just know from the seller that they are within the bantam category.
IMG20181205141323.jpg IMG20181205141518.jpg IMG20181205141628.jpg
The 3rd one (black) is obviously a frizzle of some sort but it has 5 toes on each foot (if you zoom in you can see). What would it be cross bred with?

Last edited:
Hello and :welcome It's great to have you here. I hope you find many answers to all of your questions. :hugs
And you have very cute chicks.
There's a very good chance your chicks are mixed breeds. Your second one is probably a Cochin, though...possibly a mottled color. Silkies have five toes, but pretty much all Silkie crosses I see in pictures on here seem to have at least a small crest, and a bit darker skin, but yours doesn't have the crest (though I wouldn't rule it out that yours is mixed with Silkie). Also, frizzles aren't a breed...it's just a feather type. Polishes and Cochin are known to be frizzled sometimes. And sizzles are what you call frizzled Silkies. :D
Anyways, hopefully someone else will chime in with more accurate guesses on their breeds.

Hello and :welcome It's great to have you here. I hope you find many answers to all of your questions. :hugs
There's a very good chance your chicks are mixed breeds. Your second one is probably a Cochin, though...possibly a mottled color. Silkies have five toes, but pretty much all Silkie crosses I see in pictures on here seem to have at least a small crest, and a bit darker skin, but yours doesn't have the crest (though I wouldn't rule it out that yours is mixed with Silkie). Also, frizzles aren't a breed...it's just a feather type. Polishes and Cochin are known to be frizzled sometimes. And sizzles are what you call frizzled Silkies. :D
Anyways, hopefully someone else will chime in with more accurate guesses on their breeds.

I've done some searching online and I was pretty sure the first one was a Polish and the second one was a Cochin, I just wanted to double check. We won't be breeding them or anything I just find it interesting :) And thanks, I didn't know that frizzles weren't a breed.

Oh and another question, when you say that the second chick might be mottled, does that mean she would grow up to lose that golden fluff and have her whole body be the black and white like on her wingss?

Last edited:
Oh and another question, when you say that the second chick might be mottled, does that mean she would grow up to lose that golden fluff and have her whole body be the black and white like on her feathers?
This was my mottled cochin at 1 day old. Yours doesn't have as much black on it. But does have the feathered feet.
image(1).jpg

I agree with most on the first two.
Polish
Cochin (likely white but possibly splash or ??)
The last one, I believe, to be a frizzled Cochin/Silkie cross.
Some Silkie crosses will be smooth feathered but clearly this chick also carries the frizzled gene.
Very cute trio!

FYI: Be aware that sometimes other chicks will peck at a Polish birds crest as it grows in.
Sometimes even pulling the feathers.
I think @No More Empty Nest had that problem.
They can get rather fascinated with it.
Just something to look out for.

Back
Top Bottom