What breeds are on everyone's "wish list" for ordering chicks next spring?? & what hatcheries are be

oliviaandjosh4

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
I am so excited about ordering chicks next Spring & I am curious as to what all breeds everyone else is interested in ordering? Also, I have never ordered chicks before, I bought all mine from Tractor Supply. So I am wondering what hatchery is best to order from or who have you had a good experience ordering from?? I am thinking about ordering from mypetchicken.com, anyone else order from there? Yay or nay?

The breeds on my wish list are as follows:
BLRW (the ones I am most excited about!)
Marans
Australorps
Buff Orpington
Barred rock or Dominique (can't decide)
Mottled colored cochin
RIR
Ameraucana
Red Sex Links (have some now and they are probably my favorite, besides my lavender orpingtons)
& I would also like to get a Silkie as everyone else seems to love them.

I want some buff orps. I've heard they tend to go broody and I want little chickies running around. I am lucky enough to have a small hatchery about 30 minutes away so I just call them and tell them what I want and when I'll be there. Also I want some light brahmas because I think they're pretty.

I want a Buff too because they're so pretty! Believe it or not, my hen that goes broody a lot is my black sex link. She went broody 4 times this past summer! My neighbor has some brahmas and they are huge! He doesn't get many eggs from his but they are very pretty.

I have 2 black sexlinks and they will barely stay on the nest long enough to lay an egg, much less go broody. The only hen I have ever had go broody is my little mixed breed that I got from a friend.

Just goes to show every chicken is different. I prefer mine to not go broody and have to break them every time they do.

I've only got two left on my list. Polish Hen and Mille Fleur D'Ulcce otherwise no intentions of adding anything else except Barnyard mixes. I enjoy the surprise of watching them feather and grow.

Speckled Sussex! I only have one left and she is 5 yrs old. They are great layers and will go broody but not excessively. Mine have been very friendly and make good pets.
I'm all out of Buff Orpingtons now so I will also add a couple of them into the flock next spring.
yippiechickie.gif

I've always had good luck with Murray McMurray hatchery but you should order from a hatchery that is close to you for best results. Also, last winter a LOT of people lost their chicks during shipment due to the severe cold weather. It's best to wait until the weather warms in the spring before having chicks shipped. It's heartbreaking to open a box of chicks from the hatchery and most of them are dead due to being chilled.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom