What breeds are these chicks?

_-Captain BRM-_

Post Tenebras Lux.
Premium Feather Member
Feb 1, 2021
Hello! Recently hatched a bunch of chicks from my flock, sired by an amauracana roo. Any guesses on what breeds the hens are that the eggs must have come from? I know a couple already from the egg color, but I'm stumped on a handful. Here are the hen options:

Barred Rock
Sapphire Gem
Brahma
ISA Brown
Australorp

PXL_20220925_211310818.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
PXL_20220925_211303226.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
PXL_20220925_211239739.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
PXL_20220925_211235849.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
PXL_20220925_211230465.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

I would guess number 4 is a Barred Rock cross because of the spot on the head? Or maybe the Sapphire Gem? Thanks for any help or if you need any other pictures from different angles!!

Hello! Recently hatched a bunch of chicks from my flock, sired by an amauracana roo.
A picture of the rooster usually helps, when he is a breed or mix that comes in many colors.
Does he have white barring? If yes, my predictions will be wrong.

Any guesses on what breeds the hens are that the eggs must have come from? I know a couple already from the egg color, but I'm stumped on a handful. Here are the hen options:

Barred Rock
Sapphire Gem
Brahma
ISA Brown
Australorp
The chicks with a yellow or white dot on the head must have a Barred Rock mother, and must be male. That would be chicks 3 and 4.

Does the rooster have blue on him? I'm guessing he does, because chick 4 appears to have a dot on the head (barring, requires Barred Rock mother) but also appears to be blue (requires a blue or splash parent.)

Chick number 5 appears to be blue but not barred. The blue must come from one parent-- either Sapphire Gem mother, or the father. If the father has blue, then this chick could have come from the Australorp mother, or from the Sapphire Gem mother, or could be a daughter of the Barred Rock mother (no barring, so not the son of a barred mother.)

Chick 1 looks black, so the mother could be Australorp, or Sapphire Gem, or if the chick is female the mother might be the Barred Rock.

For Chick 2, does it have feathered feet? If yes, the Brahma is the mother. If not, I think the mother might be the ISA Brown, because it doesn't look quite right to come from any of the mothers that produce black chicks. But I'm not entirely sure about it. Depending on what breeds were crossed by the hatchery to produce your Sapphire Gem, there is also a chance of her being the mother of chick 2. And if it grows up to be black, then the options are exactly the same as I listed for chick 1.

A picture of the rooster usually helps, when he is a breed or mix that comes in many colors.
Does he have white barring? If yes, my predictions will be wrong.

The chicks with a yellow or white dot on the head must have a Barred Rock mother, and must be male. That would be chicks 3 and 4.

Does the rooster have blue on him? I'm guessing he does, because chick 4 appears to have a dot on the head (barring, requires Barred Rock mother) but also appears to be blue (requires a blue or splash parent.)

Chick number 5 appears to be blue but not barred. The blue must come from one parent-- either Sapphire Gem mother, or the father. If the father has blue, then this chick could have come from the Australorp mother, or from the Sapphire Gem mother, or could be a daughter of the Barred Rock mother (no barring, so not the son of a barred mother.)

Chick 1 looks black, so the mother could be Australorp, or Sapphire Gem, or if the chick is female the mother might be the Barred Rock.

For Chick 2, does it have feathered feet? If yes, the Brahma is the mother. If not, I think the mother might be the ISA Brown, because it doesn't look quite right to come from any of the mothers that produce black chicks. But I'm not entirely sure about it. Depending on what breeds were crossed by the hatchery to produce your Sapphire Gem, there is also a chance of her being the mother of chick 2. And if it grows up to be black, then the options are exactly the same as I listed for chick 1.
Wow, thanks for this! Here's the roo, he was ordered from a hatchery with 30 other Americaunas and turned out to be a dude. Some of the chicks also seem to have little beards too!
PXL_20220817_231749467.PORTRAIT.jpg

He must have blue on him if that's the case, of could the Sapphire Gem have passed barring down since she is a cross with a Barred Rock? Sapphire Gems have Barred Rock in them... Right?? 🤣 I forget!

He must have blue on him if that's the case, of could the Sapphire Gem have passed barring down since she is a cross with a Barred Rock? Sapphire Gems have Barred Rock in them... Right?? 🤣 I forget!
I think Sapphire Gems are a sexlinked cross, where the males have barring and the females do not. If your Sapphire Gem hen does not have white barring, she is not able to pass it on to her chicks either.

She certainly could have a Barred Rock mother, but barring cannot pass from a hen to her daughter.

Barring is on the Z sex chromosome.

Roosters have two Z chromosomes, one inherited from each parent, and the rooster gives one Z chromosome to each chick he sires.

Hens have chromosomes ZW. A hen inherits her Z chromosome from her father and gives it to her sons. She inherits her W chromosome from her mother, and gives it to her daughters. That means a gene on the Z chromosome can never go from mother to daughter, because the daughter is getting a W chromosome instead.

Back
Top Bottom