What breeds are these. Confused..

Salman93

Chirping
Sep 6, 2015
Kashmir, India
Hello frnds. i am from India and new to BYC, started rearing chicks from past 2 months. Purchased 7 Vanaraja chicks from the nearby hatchery and after that purchsed 2 more from a person who was selling them locally. He told me that those were some chinese chicken (probably an illiterate person). Kindly tell me what breeds are they. The first 2 pics are of the female and the latter of the male. They are now over 2 months old and dont seem to grow that much. I also started to give them Amprolium from yesterday. Thanks in advance.

These are arguably some of the strangest looking birds I've ever seen. If not for the obvious single combs I wouldn't even be completely convinced they were chickens. Certainly they are nothing that exists in the USA where I reside.

They show a definite Naked Neck and a somewhat gamey head, and their shanks are almost freakishly thin. They look to have a stocky and compact body. I'd have to guess they're a local breed with gamefowl heritage.

Last edited:
Those are Turkins, or "Naked necks", or a type of cross. Beautiful birds. I have one and he's the biggest sweet heart. They are quite rare, you're lucky. :)

Last edited:
Thank you. I thought they were broad breasted turkey. Also tell me why aren't they growing. I mean they are growing but at a very slow rate and they have no tail feathers at all. All they got are wing feathers that go all the way to their butt.

Those are Turkins, or "Naked necks", or a type of cross. Beautiful birds. I have one and he's the biggest sweet heart. They are quite rare, you're lucky. :)

I think you may be confusing naked necked birds with Naked Necks. Naked Necks are a breed with specific standards including the presence of a naked neck. But a bird can have a naked neck and not be a Naked Neck. Three examples of this are the Madagascar Gamefowl, some Ga Noi, and Showgirls.

Besides a naked neck and stocky body, these chicks share no characteristics with Naked Necks. Their head shape, stocky body, and slow growth suggests influences of a naked necked gamefowl, the progenitors of the modern Naked Neck.

I think you may be confusing naked necked birds with Naked Necks. Naked Necks are a breed with specific standards including the presence of a naked neck. But a bird can have a naked neck and not be a Naked Neck. Three examples of this are the Madagascar Gamefowl, some Ga Noi, and Showgirls.

Besides a naked neck and stocky body, these chicks share no characteristics with Naked Necks. Their head shape, stocky body, and slow growth suggests influences of a naked necked gamefowl, the progenitors of the modern Naked Neck.

Learn new things every day. :)

Back
Top Bottom