What breeds are these two pullets?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CarolJ, Jun 25, 2011.

1. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    This is the first time I've posted photos - and I hope I'm doing it right!

I have seven 18-week old pullets. Five of them were easy to figure out. These two, though, it took me a few days to decide which was which. They are supposed to be a Welsummer and an Easter Egger. The thing that had me confused is that this Easter Egger has very different coloring from the other two EE's that I have. I know the ones of you who've had chickens for awhile think I'm crazy to not be able to distinguish the different breeds. What can I say - I'm in my sixties, and this is all new to me. LOL!

[​IMG]
    This is Ariel, the Easter Egger.

[​IMG]
    And this is Willow, the Welsummer.

Am I right?

2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    they both look like easter eggers and that is a normal easter egger color.

3. Karen09

Karen09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2009
    Wyoming, New York
    The Easter Egger may have slate colored legs but the Welsummer should have yellowish legs. Both of the chickens you showed had slate-colored legs. Easter Eggers can be any color as long as they lay a colored egg (blue, green and sometimes they are light brown almost pinkish). I did have one Easter Egger who layed a typical brown egg. My Welsummer lays a redish brown with spots on it. you may have to wait and see what colored eggs they lay.

4. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    i have never seen a welsummer with beard and and a muff

5. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Maybe I have 4 EE's and no Welsummer then. They should start laying soon - and if I get a dark brown egg, I'll know it's a Welsummer . . . and no dark brown eggs, it's an EE. I was studying their legs today. The EE's definitely have greenish/slate colored legs. The one that's supposed to be a Welsummer has a little different colored legs than the others - but definitely not yellowish.

Thanks for the replies. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by