What breeds Are They?

lovemychicks

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 2, 2008
CT
I ordered a rainbow layer pack from McMurray this May, and now I have 15 left due to the hawk attack when they were young. It is my first year raising chickens, so please help me identify what breeds they are. Thanks!

They are almost 28 weeks old now, but none of them gives me any eggs. From the pictures, do you think they look like they are ready to lay yet?

Layer1
3065703835_e07d2fc2bf_o.jpg

Layer2
3065703833_5a16d0ebbe_o.jpg

Layer3
3066543308_f07096f2ed_o.jpg

Layer4
3066543286_f674c33aab_o.jpg

Layer5
3066543300_549a2fac47_o.jpg

Layer6
3066543282_266a6f006d_o.jpg

Layer7
3066543278_b735994f6b_o.jpg

I believe this one is a rooster.
3066543272_9ab06d59dc_o.jpg

Layer 1 : Definitely a Black Australorp. I have one myself, and they lay medium sized brown eggs.

Layer 2: ???

Layer 3: A blue Andalusian. I have one of those too, and they can lay white eggs or green-blue Americauna looking eggs, depending on the chicken. They originated in Andalusia, Spain.

Layer 4: New hampshire red, I think. ( could be a rhode island red, but I am pretty sure new hampshire. They lay tons of dark brown eggs.

Layer 5: ???

Layer 6: A Buff Orpington(also known as a BO) . They lay light brown medium sized eggs.

Layer 7:???

Layer 8: BO rooster, I think. Definitely a BO, but might be a hen with a well developed comb.

I hope I helped you some! you can look up these breeds online to find out more about them.

# 4 looks like a New Hamshire Red; # 6 and the roo look like Buff Orpingtons. Not sure about the others. If the first one is solid black with black feet, it may be a Black Australorp. Have you tried getting the MM catalog and looking them up by pictures. Several of the ones with muffs look like EE's. I really have no idea about the white one with the black dots, but they are all really pretty. Too bad they aren't laying. Argggg. That drives me crazy when my hens won't lay but are way old enough to.

The one on the right is an Americauna. They lay green or blue eggs. They are also sometimes known as "easter eggers". They are sweet and friendly,though some are rowdier than others.

Quote:
4 is a rhode island, new hampshires are lighter, 5 is a Splash andalusion, i believe the black one is too as the blues throw 50% blue, 25% splash, and 25% black.. which they all look alike, 7 maybe a white rock? but im not sure. 2 is an EE im thinking.. but i've never seen a full white one.. so maybe a Araucana?

Edit, Ok the first one is a australorp i believe lol

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the identification.

I was so anxiously waiting for the first egg to show up a few weeks ago. Now I just gave up. They will lay when timing is right. Although I think they are old enough to lay, I can't do anything about it but wait patiently.
smile.png

1. Black Australorp
2. Easter Egger
3. Blue Andalusian
4. Production RIR (Rhode Island Red)
5. Splash Andalusian
6. Buff Orpington
7. Rhode Island White or possibly White Wyandotte
8. Buff Orpington Cockerel

I think the closest ones to laying are the Australorp, Production RIR, your Buff-colored EE and the Andalusians. Should be laying any time now! lol

Back
Top Bottom