What breeds can be feather sexed?

HampshireChick

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Amherst, MA
I just hatched 23 chicks from McMurray Hatchery eggs-"heavy breeds." It's looking like I've got 5 light brahmas, 2 turkens, 4 delawares/white wyandottes/white rocks, 6 NH or RI reds/buff orpingtons/red stars, 1 silver-laced wyandottes, 2 dark cornish/speckled sussex, and 3 black australorps/barred rocks/black giants/black stars (I'm not sure about the breeds of the ones listed as something/someting; I've just listed all the possibilities).

Which ones can be feather sexed? I am definitely noticing a difference in feathering in most of them (i.e. some light brahmas have 2 rows of pinfeathers, while others have 1), but I'm not sure if this is indicative of sex in these breeds. I know that feather-sexing can be done on specific breeds, but does anyone know which ones?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I will respond with my understanding of this, but I am far from an expert. It is my understanding that feather sexing is much like a sex link, in that the male and female lines need to be made up of a fast feathering line and a slow one. I beleive that the next generation will not breed true, much like a sex link.

I am not sure I explained it very well. And again this is how I have understood it and could be less than 100% correct.

Thanks for the replies (and the bump)! I had heard that as well, but I'm not sure which breeds this applies to. I just read on another thread that you can sex SL Wyandottes like this, but does anyone know about the others?

Back
Top Bottom