1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what breeds can fly?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by random, Feb 6, 2009.

1. random

random Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    australia
    what breeds can fly? and do u actually mean fly fly, like a bird or just flap really hard so they jump higher for longer?

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    none can fly like birds, just longer distance/ higher.

3. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    [​IMG] They are birds, how can they not fly like birds?[​IMG][​IMG]

My guinea and game hen are the only ones that were allowed access to fly, all the rest are enclosed in coops right now. ( a stupid dog got those two, so I'm glad I had the others all penned up and the dog is gone) They could get anywhere they wanted. They might not have been able to soar like an eagle, but they sure could get up in my tallest tree, or roost in the barn rafters. Most chickens can fly to an extent if their wings are not clipped, there are exceptions probably many many exceptions but I don't have a list or anything.

4. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    My australorps cannot get more than a few feet off the ground, just to get to the roost or on top of something like a chair or bucket.

However, my wyandotes, buff orpington, white and barred rock, and production red can clear a 6 foot fence. I just try to keep the interesting stuff in my yard and the scary stuff outside the yard. It helps to have a large yard.

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Games can fly very well.

6. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I second the games. I've seen a hen clear phone wires and keep going. Course I was trying to catch her at the time.

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Many banties can...eer...hover, glide, whatever you'd call it, not counting Silkies, of course. [​IMG]

I have a Polish X d'Uccle roo who can fly pretty far, and he's a MONSTER! Huge for a banty!

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    my appenzeller spitzhauben and la flech seem to get a lot of height. Even my ameraucana can get 20+ feet up a tree.....
    I think the lighter bodied ones do much better

9. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Sumatras are great fliers. My roo always sat on the barn roof...until we put the metal roof on, then he'd slide off. He roosts in tress now.

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    All of the Mediterranean breeds are good fliers. I've had Leghorns that have launched themselves at least 500 feet. Of course...they DID jump from the top of the hill to the bottom of the hill...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by