what breeds do I want to start with?

shend

Chirping
12 Years
Sep 16, 2010
west michigan
Ok, brand new chickener! Finished my coop this fall and plan to begin with my first attempt at raising chickens early next spring. Don't have a clue as to what breed to purchase. Not sure if I want to start right out with baby chicks, but will take your advise.

I'm going to have a fair size outdoor space but my coop is appx 36 sq ft. How many will be comfortable in this size?

I'm looking for layers primarily, but would like a good disposition as well. What should I choose?

welcome-byc.gif

how is your climat?
breeds I suggest are:
Rhode Island Red
plymouth rocks
buckeyes

Last edited:
I like Rhode Island reds. Have had a few other breeds and the reds always seem alot healthier and hardy. Have only had buff orpingtons, auracana's (these are hardy too) and couple other breeds but my pick for starting out would definately be RIR's in my opinion.
big_smile.png

I would guage how many by how many nest boxes you have. I think around 2 or maybe 3 per box would be acurate and have about 1 roo per 6 to 8 hens if you are wanting chicks. Im no expert but these were questions I asked too!!! Good luck with your new flock!

Edit: Roos that are raised together work together in my experiences. If they are older and new to each other they will fight.

Last edited:
Quote:
I to have just started this past summer, New coop and I started with 12 Barred Rocks I am Very pleased with them . Just started laying about the end of Oct. Their disposition is fantastic the kids can pick them up and the hens follow the kids all over the yard. I have seen on BYC that 4 sq f per bird I do believe.

Big Bill

The recommendation for coop interior is 4sq ft per standard/large fowl (LF) chickens. That's floor space, and feeders, waterers, etc., take away from that space if they are on the floor of the coop. So, 36 sq ft means you could house 9.5 chickens.
big_smile.png

Dual purpose birds are my favorite, over mainly layer breeds. I'm partial to Plymouth Barred Rocks, which lay very well. Buff Orpingtons are my next favorites. Rhode Island Reds are also good, and my Rhoda is a good example: big, lays well, and is friendly. But some folks report RIRs as being mean. I haven't seen it.
idunno.gif

I also like starting with chicks, because they grow up more people- oriented, due to you being the care-giver from a very early age (3days or so, unless you hatch 'em, like I do, now). Some folks find that to be not such a pleasant time period, but I adore raising chicks.

Black Austrolorps, if you like eggs ^^
Their also really pretty, and mine is really nice
smile.png

Just gotta play with them!
big_smile.png

i had cochin to start with and they laid 6 out of 7 days a week plus they was super friendly and don't fly. if you have kids a say (just me lol) a must.
frow.gif

Quote:
Hello, and welcome to BYC!

I agree with Cochins being great birds, and they are very friendly too! But, I've only had banty Cochins, so I don't know how their production is.
There are many wonderful breeds of chicken that are known just for laying, and there are also many beautiful hens that lay almost just as much!

Here is a list, first, of the breeds that may not look great to some, but are great layers. Many of these, I have NO experiance with, but I've heard amazing things about them
smile.png
:
Rhode Island Red (No experiance)
White Leghorn
Red Sex Link
Black Australorps (No experiance)
Buckeye (No experiance)

Next, is a list of hens that are very appealing and lay up to five or six eggs a week:
Buff Orpington (No experiance)
Barred Rock
Welsummer

I know there are MANY more, but I just can't think of any others right off! Good luck, and I hope that we are a great help here on BYC!

If I were starting with 10 hens for the first time I would get

3 Black Sex Links... They are LAYING machines.
2 Rhode Island Reds. Lay well, Eye candy.
2 Leghorns.
2 Easter Eggers OR pure bred Ameraucanas.
1 Polish hen. *eye candy.

And you'll have a colorful egg basket....

Back
Top Bottom