What breeds do we have?

jonathsk

In the Brooder
May 27, 2020
Southern California
Hi everyone! My wife and I successfully hatched 5 baby chicks over the Memorial Holiday weekend.
Based on their features, it looks like there are three types of breeds but my efforts of trying to google images was really tough. I did not know there were so many breeds especially ones that are so similar to each other.

In any case, we started a live stream because we were interested in sharing our journey with our friends and family. Please feel free to watch at http://tiny.cc/eggies!
They are all in the brooder right now and I have yet to learn:
(1) when will they be ready for a coup
(2) what are safe temp ranges for outside (we live in the high deserts of California where temps swing wildly during day/night)
(3) building a coup

But that's one of the reasons we joined BYC! To learn from other and hopefully we can share our knowledge/experience with others!

Thanks,
Jonathan and Krystal
20200527_071542.jpg
20200527_071552.jpg

Last edited:
I can't see all your chicks clearly. I believe I see a speckled Sussex, a Rhode island red, an Easter egger, and the other two I can't see leg colors or comb types which can help with identifying them. Also are they supposed to be purebred? Since you hatched them I need to ask.

I can't see all your chicks clearly. I believe I see a speckled Sussex, a Rhode island red, an Easter egger, and the other two I can't see leg colors or comb types which can help with identifying them. Also are they supposed to be purebred? Since you hatched them I need to ask.
Thanks. I'll take better pictures when I get home. I don't belive they are purebred, good point. We picked these up from a local farmer and they had all kinds in the same coup.

If they are mixed than waiting until they mature and posting for guesses on breeds would be the best way to go. Mixed breeds are fun as they are always different.

Hi everyone! My wife and I successfully hatched 5 baby chicks over the Memorial Holiday weekend.
Based on their features, it looks like there are three types of breeds but my efforts of trying to google images was really tough. I did not know there were so many breeds especially ones that are so similar to each other.

In any case, we started a live stream because we were interested in sharing our journey with our friends and family. Please feel free to watch at http://tiny.cc/eggies!
They are all in the brooder right now and I have yet to learn:
(1) when will they be ready for a coup
(2) what are safe temp ranges for outside (we live in the high deserts of California where temps swing wildly during day/night)
(3) building a coup

But that's one of the reasons we joined BYC! To learn from other and hopefully we can share our knowledge/experience with others!

Thanks,
Jonathan and KrystalView attachment 2162403View attachment 2162407
We just hatched three of chicks this week also and bought four from a neighbor. I am wondering the breed of the four that we bought and will be posting pics here as well. Good luck with your chicks. They all look healthy and fluffy! Look for mine. They look so much like yours!

Ooh where in high Sierra dessert are you? I call that my home away from home ! from bridgeport to bishop❤️❤️ Your Chicks are probably fine to got for several hours a day with Proper fencing aNd spot for shade for supervised“ Field trips” I am in no ca and it’s been in the 80s🥵 I have 1 1/2 week olds who spend majority of the day outside in the shade . As for breeds I’m sorry can’t help you there maybe some buff orpingtons and a New Hampshire red? Not sure about the speckled guy

Ooh where in high Sierra dessert are you? I call that my home away from home ! from bridgeport to bishop❤❤ Your Chicks are probably fine to got for several hours a day with Proper fencing aNd spot for shade for supervised“ Field trips” I am in no ca and it’s been in the 80s🥵 I have 1 1/2 week olds who spend majority of the day outside in the shade . As for breeds I’m sorry can’t help you there maybe some buff orpingtons and a New Hampshire red? Not sure about the speckled guy

I'm in the Lancaster/Palmdale area. 80s! Wish we had those kinds of temps this week -- we're heading into the high 90s today. Dry heat is very welcomed through compared to humid heat. I'll take it any day.

Thanks for the advice! The chicks are growing so fast! It seems like a lot of folks are saying to wait till they mature a little to help with ID. I can see why as I've scoured the internet and there are so many look-alikes. Thanks and gluck with yours!

-Jon

We just hatched three of chicks this week also and bought four from a neighbor. I am wondering the breed of the four that we bought and will be posting pics here as well. Good luck with your chicks. They all look healthy and fluffy! Look for mine. They look so much like yours!
Will keep a look out!

Back
Top Bottom