What breeds do you have, that you want to get rid of?

I couldn't get rid of my polish fast enough, and if it weren't for the SO we wouldn't have kept any silkies, either. The polish were too flighty and high maintenance, and the silkies . . . well, they just aren't chickens. Plus, I don't like the way their feathers feel. They look like they should feel softer than everyone else, but something about that type of feathering just feels icky.

Quote:
Really? I love my 8 EEs they are all ubber friendly lap chicken types. Here are a couple of mine with their human child

Sandy snuggling and watching TV

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/7630_hpim6020.jpg

Sandy giving hugs

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/7630_hpim6021.jpg

Severus in the kitchen for grapes

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/7630_severusface.jpg

This is Deville my roo in the one handed rooster hold just hanging out

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/7630_deville2.jpg

HEY!!! That's NO fair!!!

Polish .... Oh geezzzz, I do NOT like Polish! They are so flighty, and they require special treatment, since they can't see! I got rid of all of them ...... except one darn rooster (buff laced) is still here! Somebody, come take him away .... PLEASE!

My problem is I love all my guys! I need to reduce the flock because I have too many roos but how do I pick which ones to go - they are all my children, having been hatched in the middle of my living room! At least my neighbors love the crows (and the eggs).

Well, I rehomed my beautiful LF BBS cochins.....Didn't have the male and didn't really have enough for a flock....I know they will be happy with Brahmafan and they will have a rooster one day! (they were at POL)

I rehomed my banties because I only had 2.

I rehomed my OEGB's beacause I only had 3 and no one seemed to want the eggs and I just never sold the babies ....just gave them a way! And I wanted them to be broody.

I have 12 remaining Common Rhode Island Reds that I want to sell or trade. They are a little over 1 year old. After they are gone, I will only have pure mahogany, Non production RIR's and that's what I want.

I want to rehome my Bronze Turkeys and replace them with White turkeys or autumn turkeys.

I want to find some silkies for brooding...... Kathyinmo, come spring, please remember me. This incubator bill is killing me....Costs about $50 a month for all my incubating and that's at the low side.

I love my fluffy buff's and especially demeanor and color, but they refuse to go broody! I think this might be my lucky year as they will be 2 this year.....Hopefully!

Well, anyone wanting some turkeys or production RIR's, please let me know.

Great post! Thanks for starting.

Have a happy and blessed new year!

I only hatched the EE's so that I could sell them for feed money, and it seems like they're eating more than they'll bring!
My banty cochins are great, but I have too many different colors that don't breed well together, and they're taking up space I could be using for my Seramas. I'll be marketing my Cochins soon, so let me know if you would be interested in black, buff, mille fleur, or lavender (see? too many colors!)

My least favorite are 3 golden neck d'uccles beard, muffs very pretty -but the the females have no personality - they are shy around the standard chickens and shy away from me. The little roo is cute and talks alot - i kept him because I had to get rid of my standard roos as none are allowed and someone told on me. The little guy is half as loud and no one complains. My close neighbors all liked the crowing!
I really like my barred rock - great personality-friendly. I find it interesting that I treat them all the same yet some are so much more people friendly! I have 22 chickens, 3 are d'uccles, 2 polish(skittish and dumb), 2 silkies(one is a character the other blah), 2 appenzellers(pretty but skittish), 1 rir, i BO, 1 cuckoo maran, 1 welsummer, 1 comet(picks on my silkie-the next to go), 1 gold lace wyandotte, 1 barred rock, 1 cochin, 1 gold ee(pale green eggs) 1 white ee(blue egg), one black/white ee (olive egg), one brown ee (green egg) 1 black jersey giant. I agree with the person that silkies feel icky, the cochin is the silky puff ball.

I go back and forth on who I want to "get rid of"........will probably end up getting rid of my buttercups and some (most) of my leghorn/giant and rir/giant cross layers that I hatched out last fall as early layers this spring.

Already got rid of my blue andalusian flock...they were worth more to sell than keep and I just was not a fan of one of the hens and the rooster. Probably will sell my Buff Brahma pair.

I want to get some Speckled Sussex and EEs, maybe some different colored cochins......

I mostly sell them off so I can get new ones, not because I necessarily don't like them. As I keep having to hold onto the defective ones (light brahma that was badly picked and now very shy with the chickens but friendly with me, 1 leghorn/giant cross blind in 1 eye, 1 cochin that failed to thrive and is now stunted, 1 rir with heart problems), I'm sure eventually I'll have a flock of rejects only........right up my alley and go well with my reject horse, reject dogs, reject cat....etc etc etc....

I don't think I'll get any more Buff Orpingtons. In spite of their reputation, 2 out of my 3 are not particularly friendly to people and they're also brats to the other chickens. They also have had an extremely long molt and look like heck long after everyone else has their new feathers.

My Welsummer had such crazy pecking issues as a chick that she had to be separated, and she's been neurotic ever since (or was neurotic from the beginning). Beautiful eggs but not very many of them.

I like my Black Aussies, EEs and Speckled Sussex very much.

SLWs I can take or leave.

My Silver Laced Wyandottes were flighty and mean. Not to mention that they were more of a mottled pattern than a lacing. They were hatchery quality, but still not a good first impression of the breed. I might try Blue Laced Red one day instead but probably not. Their temperament is what discerned me the most. They were bullies!

I'd also never have Leghorns again. They were so flighty, even as chicks no matter how much handling I tried they would act like you were trying to kill them every time you came near the brooder. It's like that behavior rubbed off on the other babies too, before I rehomed the Leghorns ALL the chicks leaned towards being skittish but then when they were gone everyone just calmed down. I'll forgo the amount of eggs they lay for a more relaxed flock any day. I recently added a Black Minorca to my flock, she's been stand offish but nowhere near as flighty as the Leghorns, we'll see how she matures.

Back
Top Bottom