What breeds do you have, that you want to get rid of?

I won't ever get Black Rose Comb Bantams Again, or Sebright bantams! They're both mean, flighty birds that don't lay well at all!I don't have them anymore, though - thankfully!
smile.png

I also don't like my Standard Grey American Game Hen, either. She is scared to death of my and trys to kill herself to get away from me! But she is an awesome broody. ( Good sitter, but not a good mommy! )

Urgh. I don't have any one breed that I want gone (though I need more convincing that GLW are nice to other hens), but several indivdual hens. Two white Rocks, one buff Rock, one barred Rock, and one of my GLW. BUT fortunately for me, I WILL be getting rid of them. I'm eating them. (unless, of course, anyone wants them) These birds disrupt my flock, constantly. (except the poor barred. she picks her own back feathers. it's scary, she is not right in the head) The buff Rock even picked all the saddle feathers off my gorgeous new rooster!! (also I'm downsizing for the winter - we don't have enough room for 45+ birds to house in winter)

I love all my chickens, but if I had to choose I would never get another Jersey Giant (rehomed, for being the meanest little chick, would peck the heck out of my hand ever chance it could), Cuckoo Maran (not sure if this is always the case, but they are so skittish).

Breeds I will never do with out, my Rocks (white, Barred), EE's, BO, and BA's.

i have my horrible welsummer that pecks me all the time, but i could never get rid of him! lol
other than not having white eggs, i think id get rid of the White leghorns. they dont really like me, and they are really mean to the pullets and ducks. i find it weird for a 2 pound white leghorn hen to go after a 8 pound Pekin drake! lol

i dont want to get rid of any, this is if i had to.

i love my Black Star pullet though! he loves flying up on my arms. My fav of all time, though was Chloe, but she passed away
sad.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't get any more Dominiques. The rooster was pure evil, and he has been gone forever and a day. The four hens that I have left are chronicly broody. I love broody hens, but these ladies are ridiculous. I am forever breaking broodies around here. Also, they free range too far. When I let them out in the evening to forage, they simply can't stay in the "safety zone" for me. It's not a problem with any of my other hens, just the Dominiques. Which explains why I've lost so many of them to predation over the years.

There is one of them that I love. So friendly! The others I'm just not crazy about.

Dominiques as well. I have one that is FULL of personality but is an escape artist and leads my other girls astray. Also lays very small cream eggs that I don't like.
SLW not friendly. But LOVE BLRW.
EE's not friendly and can be mean (but I kept one because of their beautiful green/blue eggs).

I am more about the BIG fluffy girls. LOVE my cochins and Buff Orp. and Blue Orps. I love their big butts, fluffyness and huge eggs from the Orps.

What can I say... I love big butts! and I can not lie. Baby's got back!
gig.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif

Well.....I have silkies (DWs "broody fluff balls", aka worthless), Delawares and 5 "flavors" of plymouth rocks. I must say the rocks are my favorites and I will ALWAYS have them around. I must say that my Columbians are the friendliest of all the rocks I have.

I love my Delawares, but will probably not raise any more to allow room for breeding SQ Barred and Columbian rocks

Only bad experiences were a mean BO roo and a mean Blue Rock roo.....both have now "crossed over" to the promised land

I know this thread is pretty old, but I regret my White Leghorn and I kind of regret my BSL, I just would've picked other breeds over these, if I had the choice. Of course, I LOVE both these birds, and my leghorn is part of my original flock!

I would not get Golden Comets (red sex-links) again. I love them and they have a great temperment BUT (and that is a VERY big but), They have a lot of egg laying issues..... Internal laying, prolapses, etc. And I lost PLENTY to those issues... Including the beloved Gretta
hit.gif

Although, I would like to know the reasoning for people wanting to get rid of their Wyandottes.... I was planning to get some in the spring.... SO, I want to know the bad things about them..... I have ONLY heard good things about them!\\

Thanks,
Mychookschick

Back
Top Bottom