What breeds does this look like it has in it

Quote:
Sex links don't have feathered feet.

Aww I missed the feathers on the feet. I have made sexlinks though by using other than RIR roosters. I gave a batch to a neighbor from a black gamefowl over BR hens, that turned out perfectly as far as sex and markings. They lay for him really well too. It probably is a mutt, and I do have a feather footed hen from two non feather footed mates. A black ranger over a BR, too young to lay but I am probably going to give her away anyway.

Quote:
The legs look slate-y to me, which is the correct color for a Black Copper. Like the OP said, they were not sure what mix this hen was. It may not be a pure Maran, but it looks dag on close. Did the person you got her from happen to order from McMurray? If so, she may have been their free rare chick!

More pics for comparison on feathersite .

But it has Yellow feet, which is not correct

Quote:
Sex links don't have feathered feet.

Aww I missed the feathers on the feet. I have made sexlinks though by using other than RIR roosters. I gave a batch to a neighbor from a black gamefowl over BR hens, that turned out perfectly as far as sex and markings. They lay for him really well too. It probably is a mutt, and I do have a feather footed hen from two non feather footed mates. A black ranger over a BR, too young to lay but I am probably going to give her away anyway.

My friend crossed a RIR roo with a barred Cochin hen, and she got sexlinks with feathery feet

She looks similar to this girl only older - this girl is a red sex-link hen (mama) with a black copper maran daddy.

DSCN1685.jpg

This is a cuckoo maran hen X black copper roo baby:

DSCN1684.jpg

The neck color and leg color are to off for a pure black copper and I would think because they are more rare and pricey that someone who had one would know it.

Last edited:
chickluver:D :

well its defenently a...........................................................................................................chicken
lau.gif

Sounds like something I would say.

Seriously, the coloring of the feathers would suggest a sex-linked pairing. She is a nice looking girl and healthy. I am certain the only Marans sell are the Cuckoos, so wouldn't believe this is a freebie chick. Besides, from what I have read and experience, you would be hard pressed to get anything as cool as a Marans as your freebie. I got an EE and a red sex-link pullet. how rare are they?
hmm.png
Does her breed matter or did you get her for an egg layer? If there were Marans in her, you might see a pretty dark egg in the basket. then you will know, right?​

Back
Top Bottom