What breeds does this newbie have?

appletree12

Hatching
Aug 17, 2023
Hi all,
I'm a newbie at raising chickens. I bought from a farm supply store what they told me were three leghorns and two starlight green eggers, but now that my girls are all grown up I'm skeptical. I have only one that's identifiably a leghorn (at least to my amateur eyes). Any ideas what I'm looking at?
In case the pictures don't show enough, the light brown ones have much broader, heavier bodies; the mixed brown and whites are much narrower, more similar to the white leghorn build.
Thanks!

Hi all,
I'm a newbie at raising chickens. I bought from a farm supply store what they told me were three leghorns and two starlight green eggers, but now that my girls are all grown up I'm skeptical. I have only one that's identifiably a leghorn (at least to my amateur eyes). Any ideas what I'm looking at?
In case the pictures don't show enough, the light brown ones have much broader, heavier bodies; the mixed brown and whites are much narrower, more similar to the white leghorn build.
Thanks!
Does any of them lay a green egg at all?

Thank you all for your help.
So far, we got one white egg, but no one else has laid yet. If I get more info, I can keep you posted!

If you're new to raising chickens, this may actually be a blessing. In my experience, most leghorns are super flighty and react pretty sharply to their environments. Lots of jumping, flying, running around the coop/run when they're inevitably startled.

With the sex-links, and Orpingtons- you have much calmer breeds (Orpington's being among the calmest).

And unless you wanted white eggs specifically, you'll get tons of brown eggs from the sex links.

The overtly good news is that you got all pullets. Hope you're enjoying your chickens so far, and just know that 'chicken math' is very real!!

We've definitely seen this--my kids named the leghorn Tiger because she's so jumpy, always flapping up to the top of the coop when they're out, always the hardest to get back inside.

Back
Top Bottom