What breeds have friendly roosters?

TLeo13

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 21, 2011
oxford, Pa
I have had bad luck with roos from day one. They have always attacked me. I have had delaware blue roosters and so people say they are nice some dont, mine sure is nasty. what breeds of roosters are nice and friendly?:/Yeah this roo i have is nasty attacked my friend yeasterday when we were trying to go into the pen and he does nothing but crow and mate, he never brings food to the girls or anything and when my hens come towards me for treats he gets right in front of them and takes all the treats then attacks me!
he.gif
Is it just his breed or is he just a messed up roo?

Last edited:
Never met a mean Ameraucana (real ones, not hatchery Easter Eggers - Easter Eggers vary, and I have known of mean ones)

Never met a mean Shamo, Thai, and nor have I heard of a mean Asil or Malay either.

Never met or known of a mean Cochin or Orpington.

I had a very mean BSL...

But, I now keep Buff Orpingtons and they are great!! I have had like 9 different BO roos (because I got a group of young ones then most of them turned out to roos) and none of them have been mean. I kept them atleast to puberty and some beyond and they are wonderful! Very sweet and do their job!

I agree all 4 of my Ameraucana roos think they are lap chickens
big_smile.png
I also have a little Phx roo who has never been aggressive.
My key west roo has never been aggressive either.

My Ameraucana roo is a perfect gentleman. Always waits for the girls to dig in to the treats first, calls them over when he finds something yummy, never breeds the girls in front of me and has never made a move towards me. He is the first roo that I have ever owned so I don't have a lot of experience with them. Waiting to see how his sons behave.

Nasty Roos we've had :

Polish
EE
Mutt

Sassy but not necessarily scary - he will peck at you then once you pick him up he is fine-too little to be scary anyway:

Bantam Cochin

Nice boys we have now:

Sussex
LF Brahma
Australorp
Red Cap Mutt

Back
Top Bottom