What breeds have friendly roosters?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TLeo13, Feb 22, 2011.

1. TLeo13

TLeo13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    oxford, Pa
    I have had bad luck with roos from day one. They have always attacked me. I have had delaware blue roosters and so people say they are nice some dont, mine sure is nasty. what breeds of roosters are nice and friendly?:/Yeah this roo i have is nasty attacked my friend yeasterday when we were trying to go into the pen and he does nothing but crow and mate, he never brings food to the girls or anything and when my hens come towards me for treats he gets right in front of them and takes all the treats then attacks me![​IMG] Is it just his breed or is he just a messed up roo?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Never met a mean Ameraucana (real ones, not hatchery Easter Eggers - Easter Eggers vary, and I have known of mean ones)

Never met a mean Shamo, Thai, and nor have I heard of a mean Asil or Malay either.

Never met or known of a mean Cochin or Orpington.

3. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    I had a very mean BSL...

But, I now keep Buff Orpingtons and they are great!! I have had like 9 different BO roos (because I got a group of young ones then most of them turned out to roos) and none of them have been mean. I kept them atleast to puberty and some beyond and they are wonderful! Very sweet and do their job!

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I agree all 4 of my Ameraucana roos think they are lap chickens [​IMG] I also have a little Phx roo who has never been aggressive.
    My key west roo has never been aggressive either.

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

None of my game roosters have been aggressive toward humans.

Rhode Island Reds . . . a completely different story !

6. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    I love my Silkie and Showgirl Roo's.

7. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Our Cochin roo is a sweetheart, he's the gentle giant of our farm (he's up to my knee!).

[​IMG]

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    My Ameraucana roo is a perfect gentleman. Always waits for the girls to dig in to the treats first, calls them over when he finds something yummy, never breeds the girls in front of me and has never made a move towards me. He is the first roo that I have ever owned so I don't have a lot of experience with them. Waiting to see how his sons behave.

9. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Nasty Roos we've had :

Polish
    EE
    Mutt

Sassy but not necessarily scary - he will peck at you then once you pick him up he is fine-too little to be scary anyway:

Bantam Cochin

Nice boys we have now:

Sussex
    LF Brahma
    Australorp
    Red Cap Mutt

10. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Game roosters are supposedly nice because they have been bred against man-fighting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by